Economy diminishes vacation plans

During tough economic times college students are forced to watch their wallets, and in some instances, rethink their plans for spring break.’

‘ While this may seem less exciting for some, there are still plenty of activities in town and on UH campus to provide endless hours of entertainment.

Dr. Scott Imberman, assistant professor of economics, says there is definitely a trend in alterations of vacation plans due to the economy.

‘A vacation is a luxury good. It’s one of those things that are sensitive to how much money a person has,’ Imbrson said. ‘So when the economy goes down the vacation is the first thing to go.’ And as more and more people are hit by the economy, then you see more and more people canceling vacations.’ I would expect this trend to continue as long as the economy goes south.’

Though some may be forced to cancel vacation plans altogether, Imberman says others are choosing to downsize elaborate vacations to something a little less grand.’

‘Some people don’t get rid of vacations but switch to less expensive ones,’ Heran said. The person who may have flown to Aruba may shift and decide to go to South Padre.’ They don’t cut out vacations altogether but just change their plans.’ People taking vacations won’t disappear but the industry will definitely take a substantial hit.’

Jaime Riley, a management information systems junior, is going home for spring break.

‘I’m going home to Dallas. I’m saving by going home and not doing anything like going somewhere and paying for a hotel. I don’t want to spend money, and I’d like to save, but I can’t in this kind of economy,’ Riley said.’

Vyckie Abila, director of marketing and membership for the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center, said there are many activities happening on campus during spring break to participate in, including a family night at the leisure pool March 20, with food and activities geared toward both parents and children.

Abila knows finances are on everyone’s mind this vacation season.

‘It’s one of those things, trying to figure out something cost-conscious to do,’ Abila said.’

She said the Camwwpus Wellness and Recreation Center would be open during spring break with reduced hours.

Houston has other activities to offer for those staying in town during spring break.

The Genghis Khan exhibit opened Feb. 27 at the Houston Museum of Natural Science and will run through Sept. 7.’ The exhibit tells the story of the powerful ruler in the ‘largest ever display of 13th century treasures.’

Steven Cowan, public relations coordinator from the Houston Museum of Natural Science, says that he and his staff will be ready for the spring break crowds.

‘We always come prepared,’ Cowan said. ‘We advise people to purchase tickets online, which help reduce our ticket lines.’ Don’t waste time standing in line but spend as much time as you can in our exhibits enjoying and learning.’

So while the economy may make leaving the city impossible for some students, there are still plenty of opportunities right in their own backyard.

Imberman said students and the general public should get comfortable because Americans are in it for the long haul.

‘We are in such uncharted waters, that I don’t think anyone really knows when we’ll come out of it,’ Imberman said. ‘Some people speculate that it could happen by the end of this year, and some think a recovery is about two or three years away.’