Annual Honors College event adopts French flavor

The Honors College brings the sophistication and fun of the Moulin Rouge to the Houston Room, University Center tonight for its third annual Spring Fling.

Student Governing Board organizes the semi-formal ball conceptualized in 2007 by former SGB president Jonas Chin.

‘Jonas wanted to bring something classy to The Honors College, something that was perpetuated,’ SGB president Andrew Thomas said. ‘Each year we try to keep line with Jonas’ original vision, but still have it be unique to that year’s class.’

Thomas said the Moulin Rouge theme is the Spring Fling Committee’s way of keeping the event formal and fun.

‘There will be French finger foods like cream puffs, cheesecake, croissant and quiche,’ Spring Fling Committee Head Angela Lopez said.

In previous years Spring Fling themes ranged from a 1920s Gatsby Affair to a black-tie Casino Royale night.

‘We decided that it was hard to do a theme with decades because we realized not everyone would dress up and it’s hard to do a semi-formal and have people dress up a certain way,’ Lopez said.

Both previous Spring Flings drew an attendance of close to 200 students and guest, Thomas said. He expects nothing less for this year’s soiree.

‘We’ve really had a lot of success in the past,’ Thomas said. ‘The first year, Jonas brought in instructors to teach swing dancing, and last year’s Casino Royale had roulette, poker and blackjack tables open to attendees.’

Lopez used previous year’s ideas and made improvements to this year’s semi-formal so students can enjoy the event a little differently.

‘I thought it was pretty good last year. We played cards but had no prizes, so this year we have games where students can win prizes,’ Lopez said.

The night of dancing will include a dance competition, where a student will win a $25 American Express card.

‘Students can sign up individually for the dance competition as they are checking into the mixer.’ Then, around 9:30p.m. to 10p.m. we will begin the competition,’ Lopez said.

The winner will be determined by the crowd’s cheering and noise level.

‘We will play a clip of music and (competitors) will have about 30 to 45 seconds to show the crowd their dance moves.’ Whoever gets the loudest cheers, wins,’ Lopez said.

Students in the Honor’s College are encouraged to volunteer to help set up around 5 p.m. or clean up after the event.

‘They can help out with inflating balloons, setting up tables and putting tablecloths on tables,’ Lopez said.

The Spring Fling starts at 8 p.m. in the Houston Room, University Center. Students in The Honors College are allowed one guest each.