Art festival celebrates, delights all

The 12th annual internationally renowned Bayou City Art Festival will return to recognize the contemporary art scene from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Friday through Sunday at Memorial Park.’

The juried festival exhibits a shaded outdoor gallery against a forest-like backdrop that extends for over a mile, featuring the works of 300 artists from all over the world.’

This year’s featured artist is Larry Stephenson, a Kansas-based watercolor artist, who often uses simple objects as the central focus in his pieces, and has had many of them displayed in numerous watercolor competitions across the country. The featured artwork is his creation ‘A Day at the Airport,’ a painting with a different take on the busy Houston airports as shown by its robotic men and cartoons piloting toy planes.’

Adding to the art show are live performances of culturally diverse music and dances such as belly dancing, Latin jazz and classical music, provided courtesy of The Houston Arts Alliance and scheduled for performance from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.’

In four separate areas of the festival, the CORE Performance Company will premiere ‘WIND-UP, implode, Begin’ at 1:45 p.m. Saturday, an original dance partly based on the whimsical tone of featured artist Larry Stephenson’s work. Other performers include the Houston Swing Dance Society at 2 p.m. and the Ambassadors International Ballet Folklorico at 4 p.m. Sunday.

For children, an interactive Creative Zone will offer a place for youth to demonstrate their artistic skills in free projects.’

Adults are admitted at $10 and children under 12 are admitted free. Total earnings from the event will be donated to The Nonprofit Partners of the Art Colony Association. For more information, visit http://www.bayoucityartfestival.com.