SPB to host charity auction

The term ‘laughing all the way to the bank’ will take on a new meaning as the Student Program Board presents its Paint the Town Art Auction and LMAO Comedy Show.

Kayla Wiltsey, history junior and comedy chair for SPB, is in charge of the evening’s comedic entertainment.

‘Originally, it was a comedy show with food,’ Wiltsey said. ‘Then they had the idea of a charity art auction with food, so we just decided to combine the two.’

Audrey Hall, a political science senior and the SPB University Center programs chair, is in charge of the charity portion of the night.

‘At first, I wanted to have a charity auction last semester before Christmas,’ Hall said. ‘I wanted to raise money to buy presents for kids in the surrounding UH community, but we didn’t have enough lead time to get everything together so we decided to do it this semester.’

The night will start off with the auction and lead into the comedy show.

Scott Godley, who is pursuing a masters degree in educational leadership, has tried to get students interested, despite other major events on campus.

‘So far, the challenge we have is trying to market this event,’ Godley said. ‘We had events that coordinated with Frontier Fiesta, and before that spring break, so it hasn’t been until this week that we’ve had any full-fledged marketing.’

The organizers are looking for students to donate their works of art to be auctioned off.

‘Donating artwork would be a great way to get exposure (for the artist),’ Hall said. ‘One of the pieces (donated) will be bought by the University Center and (will) be put on display permanently (in the building).’

Art donors will still be able to put their donation in their portfolios.

‘We’re looking to create a document that shows their work was auctioned off,’ Godley said. ‘It could be something that they could put in their portfolio.’

The money raised from the auction will be donated to The Boys and Girls Club of Houston to purchase much-needed art supplies. The choice for the charity came from Godley, who worked with The Boys and Girls Club of San Francisco last summer.

‘I let (Audrey) know I worked with them (last) summer,’ Godley said. ‘I helped out with Project Discover, a program that offered art electives to children, so I knew they had a need for art supplies.’

For the comedy portion of the night, Wiltsey has booked comedians Owen Smith and Ronnie Jordan.

‘They’re two professional comedians,’ Wiltsey said.’ ‘We’re (also) having a musical performance by Shotgun Honeymoon and Sam Dike will emcee the event.’

The Paint the Town Art Auction and LMAO Comedy Show will begin at 7 p.m. April 21 in the UC Houston Room. Patrons can enjoy free food, music and comedic performances.

Students wishing to submit their art for the auction can do so online at http://www.uh.edu/ucaf.