Students dress in drag for charity

The local GLOBAL chapter is hosting a drag show to benefit the Houston Area Teen Council of Homosexuals, a mentoring organization for persons under 21 that allows them to be themselves in a comfortable environment.

‘When you’re that age, you depend on your parents for everything. (HATCH provides) a place to be yourself,’ English senior and GLOBAL Vice President Phill Stout said.

GLOBAL, an organization that supports and promotes gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered students, developed the idea for a drag show from other schools and first implemented the charity event last year.

‘The Cougar Den was full (and) despite technical difficulties, it was a huge success,’ Stout said.

This year’s show will feature performances by professional drag queens, Gendermyn and UH GLOBAL students.

Gendermyn is a Houston-based group of transgendered, female to male performers.

‘I was able to perform with them,’ Stout said. ‘They’re very professional (and) a lot of fun to be with.’

Mathematics senior Robert Allen will be performing with his roommate, Rice University student Amber Feight, to the song ‘Hips Don’t Lie’ by Shakira and Wyclef Jean.

‘I’m doing my best to learn how to shake my hips,’ Allen said.

For those that have never been to a drag show, expect to have a good time.

‘(At a drag show,) there is complete role reversal- males as females and females as males.’ Stout said. ‘There’s a lot of lip synching to fun, upbeat songs.’

In professional and good taste, the audience is invited to participate by singing along and dancing to the music.

‘Expect just about anything, but you won’t feel uncomfortable,’ Stout said.

Donations of $2 are suggested for HATCH. Guests can either donate at the door or wait until later.

‘(You) can hold on to (your donation) and put it down someone’s fake boobs or pants,’ Stout said.

With last year’s drag show considered a big success, GLOBAL expects just as many if not more to attend.

‘(We want everyone to) have a good time. You’re more than welcome to leave if it makes you uncomfortable, but we guarantee you’ll enjoy the show,’ Stout said.

The show starts at 8 p.m. in the UC’s Cougar Den and is made possible with help from the Women’s Resource Center and other Houston performers.

GLOBAL meets at 6 p.m. every Thursday in the Caspian or Mediterranean rooms in the UC Underground. More information about GLOBAL and the drag show can be found at http://www.uh.edu/global.

2nd Annual GLOBAL Drag Show
Hosted by UH GLOBAL
Featuring performances by Gendermyn, local drag queens and UH GLOBAL members
$2 suggested donations
8 p.m. Cougar Den, UC Underground