Guide covers city attractions

Karen Foulk’s 147 Fun Things To Do in Houston is perfect for visitors and Houstonians looking for something to do. Organized by types of attractions, this small guidebook lists all the usual places that can be visited for a day of adventure and then some.’

The chapters in 147 Fun Thing include history, performing arts, dining and even annual events in Houston. By no means a comprehensive list, the guidebook touches on some of the basic attractions of Houston and provides information about the event or location, hours of operation and contact information.

Chapter 1, ‘Showing off Houston,’ deals exclusively with the sites and attractions that Houston is known for. Most of the locations included on this list are typical and places visited by practically every Houstonian – Space Center Houston, Minute Maid Park and the Galleria are just a few to be found on this list. To find previously unknown ‘fun things’ requires a little more flipping through the book.

In Chapter 3, ‘History Sites and Museums,’ the guide lists the usual museums, such as the Contemporary Arts Museum, the Menil Collection and the Holocaust Museum to name a few. The book also offers information about lesser-known attractions, such as the National Museum of Funerals and the 1940 Air Terminal Museum. – not what one typically thinks about when considering a museum visit, but something worth checking out.’

‘Eating Out,’ the chapter on dining in Houston, is the only weak section of the book. It’s OK to highlight lesser-known attractions, but the choices seem too random. While it’s impossible to expect the guide to include all of Houston’s’ incredible dining options, this chapter presents a random selection without any order or explanation. For example, the Tex-Mex restaurant Lupe Tortilla is included but not Mama Ninfa’s – a sad oversight of a beloved restaurant. Prices are mentioned on occasion and ratings are never included. Sure, a restaurant may have good food, but if the service is bad, it’s worth mentioning.

The guide also briefly touches on attractions outside of Houston as well. From the Monastery of St. Clare’s Miniature Horse Farm in Brenham to the Chmielewski’s Blueberry Farms in Hockley, these are ‘fun things’ that most Houstonians have probably not been to, much less heard of.’

147 Fun Things To Do in Houston is a decent compilation of Houston attractions. While by no means a comprehensive guide, keep this book around in case boredom strikes and you’re in need of something fun to do.