ONLINE EXCLUSIVE: Explore what HMNS has to offer at Mixers and Elixirs

When you think of summer, certain things come to mind. Blockbuster movies, scantily clad beach goers, record-breaking heat and, of course, Mixers and Elixirs – the seasonal party series put on by the Houston Museum of Natural Science.

Held every Friday, this soiree is host to an array of bands from all genres of music, cash bars and tables full of appetizers. With approximately 1,000 people at each party, Mixers and Elixirs is a growing event that blends historical education with modern entertainment.

What originally began as a party for singles, six years later has become the Friday night hotspot for Houston’s in-crowd. Mixers and Elixirs are a great way to start the weekend and bring natural science into the mainstream.

Sponsored by Houston area Audi and Volkswagen dealers, Texas Monthly and Prop Rock, Inc., Mixers and Elixirs give the public a chance to pursue the museum in a fun, upbeat atmosphere.

Dressed to impress, the event attracts a diverse crowd, and partygoers enjoy live music against the background of dinosaurs, fossils and prehistoric relics.

Held in the main paleontology hall, attendees dance to the songs of up-and-coming bands like, The Handsomes and fan favorite, The Chromatics. A new musical guest is featured each week and can be previewed online at the HMNS website.

With cocktails in hand, guests can take advantage of viewing the Wiess Energy Hall, and learn about the rules and laws that govern our physical world. If energy is not your thing, you can stop by the Burke Baker Planetarium and relax to the sights and sounds of U2 or other light shows. The Lester and Sue Smith Gem Vault, home to a stunning collection of sparkling polished and cut gems, is also open to attendees of Mixers and Elixirs.

Along with the permanent exhibits at the HMNS, the special traveling exhibition Terra Cotta Warriors: Guardians of China’s First Emperor will be open late and exclusively to the Mixers and Elixirs crowd.

Every week, eight participants have the opportunity to enter into a contest with a grand prize of an Audi A4, Q5 or A6 weekend rental, a pair of tickets to The Nature of Diamonds exhibit and a $100 gift certificate to French-American restaurant Polo’s Signature.

The party continues throughout the summer until Aug. 28. Each Mixers and Elixirs begins at 6 p.m. and lasts until 10 p.m. For the cost of regular adult admission, guests can see several attractions that the museum has to offer, in addition to live music in a chill atmosphere.

Tickets are $13 for museum members and $15 for nonmembers with group discounts available. For more information, visit http://www.hmns.org