ONLINE EXCLUSIVE: Students react to death of King of Pop

Michael Jackson’s death commanded the nation’s attention Thursday.

Radio and television networks provided continuous information on the star’s waning health and later commemorated the end of his roller coaster life in the spotlight.

Some students were shocked by the pop superstar’s death.

‘I was at work when the news came on that he went to the hospital,’ hotel and restaurant management senior Yao Lu said. ‘Every single person in my work stopped and watched what was happening.’

When asked about his thoughts on Jackson’s death, Lu admitted he was more surprised than sad to see Jackson die at age 50.

‘I guess I was born from a later generation, so I’m not ‘sad’ sad, but it’s weird knowing someone with so much talent is gone,’ Lu said.

Long-time fans mourned the star’s passing, using memories to deal with their emotions.

‘I was very sad,’ computer science junior Andre Boateng said. ‘I had all the CDs and everything. I’d practice doing the moonwalk in the mirror. It’s one of those people you don’t expect to die.’

Nutrition junior Stephen Longon commemorated the star by re-playing Jackson’s hits on his iPod.

‘It’s pretty depressing news. He’s such a legend that it makes you feel old,’ Longon said. ‘It makes my parents feel old, since they remember him when he was five years old.’

Chemistry junior Grant Seuser was significantly unmoved by the singer’s death.

‘Everyone else I know is devastated,’ Seuser said. ‘They’re all (saying,) ‘I had to go home and get drunk and listen to Michael Jackson.”

He recalled hearing Jackson’s music playing during an FSN Houston telecast of a Houston Astros game this weekend.

‘(The music) is OK,’ Seuser said. ‘They only played good Michael Jackson (songs).’

Some students, including doctoral candidate Jack Walker, have their own theories about Jackson’s unexpected death.

‘It think it’s possible that he’s not dead and that it’s a publicity stunt for the unsold songs,’ Walker said.

Walker cited Jackson’s waning popularity in light of scandals. He also said the celebrity’s immense wealth and resources would allow him to pull off such a stunt.

Whether its thinking of conspiracies or crying, students has found unique ways to deal with the death of a musical icon.