FIVE MINUTES OF FAME: Junior enjoys problem solving

Matt Miller: Welcome to Five Minutes of Fame, where Kevin Cook sets up dates and Matt Miller questions people’s majors. Tell me, what is your major?

Kenneth Reynolds: Engineering. It’s boring to a lot of people, but I love all of the ways scientific concepts are used to solve problems that exist in the world.

Miller: Well, I can’t question engineering. It’s a fine profession with tons of jobs available; I think ‘hellip; If you could solve only one problem in this world, what would it be? Please don’t say hunger.

Reynolds: That’s tough to say, because there are so many issues. Our country has enough to deal with, but other people have it really rough. I guess I would say discrimination and racism. These have kept people from joining together and making the world a better place.

Miller: I respect that. Do you know anyone who has dealt with discrimination?

Reynolds: I know a few, but the biggest one was when a friend of mine was dating this girl. He was black and she was Salvadorian. When he met her parents they told him that he couldn’t date their daughter because he was black. They said they didn’t trust black people.

Miller: That’s not cool. How long ago was this, if you don’t mind me asking?

Reynolds: About four or five years ago. It’s sad to see this problem still going on in our country, but it is what it is.

Miller: Are you related to Diamondbacks third baseman Mark Reynolds?

Reynolds: Ha ha, I wish. Then I might have enough money to go to non-commuter school.

Miller: Where would you study at if you had all the money in the world?

Reynolds: Well, I like the engineering program here, but I always thought the programs at Stanford and Purdue were pretty good. There’s nothing wrong with UH, but it just doesn’t attract the same type of faculty and instructors.