Japanese imports spice up American entertainment scene

Manga and anime fans around campus should be delighted with this fall’s selection of new reads and television series.

The manga forefront has several promising titles, including RIN-NE, an autumn debut that will please romance and fantasy fans. This series follows a young girl who helps ghosts transition to the afterlife.

Renowned graphic novelist Rumiko Takahashi is at the helm of this series. Famous for creating the martial arts-focused romantic comedy Ranma ‘frac12;, one can expect great things from Takahashi’s latest creation.

RIN-NE debuts in the U.S. and Japan on Oct. 20.

Those who favor adventure stories should check out Yen Press’ HERO TALES by Full Metal Alchemist creator Hiromu Arakawa. This coming-of-age epic tells a Chinese myth about a boy who draws a sword that can be wielded only by true heroes. Fantasy readers should expect to see it in stores in October.

A fresh wave of summer anime has become quite popular in Japan. Among these is Bakemonogatari, a thriller about a former vampire who has to confront occult problems in his own classroom. Those who enjoyed Adult Swim’s Paranoia Agent should love this new hit.

Also hot in anime is the infamous new season of cult-classic The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. The first few episodes have followed the same basic plot, but each features small changes. Only time will tell whether future episodes of this series will break this cycle.

A couple of beloved gems are included in coming stateside releases.

This month Viz Media has brought the first four episodes of Naruto Shippuden to iTunes. Four more exciting episodes are expected in October.

Dragon Box, a seven-piece box set of the original uncut masters for the entire Dragon Ball Z series, should be another hit. Dragon Box will also feature the series’ 13 movies.

The first piece will be available Nov. 10.