Local shops offer tons of options to craft lovers

Crafting is a new hobby of some college students. Look around any trendy dive or lecture hall and it’s almost guaranteed that a student will see a knitter working away at their latest project.

Novices and experts alike can find crafting resources around Houston.

If crafters frequent the Montrose area, they will find several shops to feed the growing hobby.

Michaels is one of the first places to visit. Aisle after aisle is stocked with various mediums of craft supplies, including paints and brushes, yarns and threads, stuffed animals, wood, paper and frames.

The Sunday edition of the Houston Chronicle will sometimes feature a coupon or two.

Crafters who aren’t sure if they can find certain items in the store can get a general idea from Michaels.com. Keep in mind that some stores may not have the same items as others.

Novice crafters can participate in Michaels’ workshops, which are held at various times of the month.

Craft lovers who do needlework, like to make friendship bracelets, or enjoy making appliqu’eacute;s, Chapparal Needlework Shop on West Alabama Street has a wide assortment of sowing needs.

Skilled hands can attempt to make plush animals or cell phone charms with the store’s embroidery thread.

Visit Chapparal’s Web site for more ideas at http://www.ndlpt.com

For costume aficionados, Southern Importers provides costume ideas, props and items people need to throw the bash of the year.

Themes mentioned on the store’s Web site include Wizard of Oz, Halloween, Mardi Gras, Rock ‘n Roll, Pirates’ Cove and Luau. They also have ‘Insta-Themes’ for room d’eacute;cor; good, premade decorations that patrons can quickly put on their walls.

College will challenge you with many projects and assignments, but it’s worth investing in personal projects with the help of these local stores.