ONLINE EXCLUSIVE: California band captivates crowd at Woodlands

Incubus and The Duke Spirit put together a perfect storm of flawless rock and shoegaze hits August 21 at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion.

The Duke Spirit delivered a mystifying opening act. Frontwoman Liela Moss fluttered about the stage like a nymph, passionately singing to the wild wall of sound created by guitarists Luke Ford and Toby Butler.

When Duke Spirit performed ‘Red Weather,’ the guitars sounded like some raw force of nature. This provided a fantastic backdrop for Moss’ ethereal vocals.

After Duke Spirit’s set, Incubus dove into a string of singles. The crowd of diehard fans knew the lyrics to each song and created a cacophony of screams.

Incubus’ live performance sounded like a super-group comprised of Rush, Anthony Kiedis of Red Hot Chili Peppers and a fantastic disc jockey.

Drummer Jose Pasillas rocked his kit with enough power to make Neil Peart and John Bonham blush. Guitarist Mike Einziger played with the soul of Santana and Jimmy Page, while incorporating the creativity and stage presence of Jonny Greenwood.

The band’s light show, which included crazy LED animations, was also a feast for the eyes.

Incubus sent the audience home on a high note after a charming and raucous rendition of Prince’s ‘Let’s Go Crazy.’ The band could have focused more on Ben Kenney’s bass playing during a couple of the songs, but the concert was near flawless.