Dessert stores create delicacies

The cake is not a lie. In fact, it is right within consumers’ grasp.

People make many outrageous claims about cake. It might be bad for you, but nearly everyone simply ignores such comments and warnings for one simple reason: they just like eating cake.

Some chefs take pride in their ability to make cakes for special occasions, be they birthdays or potlucks.

People make cakes by just opening a package of cake mix, following a recipe off the Internet or making up an original recipe of their own. What most people will remember about a cake aside from its taste is its appearance.

For those looking to differentiate their creations from someone else’s, there are two specialty shops in the Houston area to help avid bakers out: Amazing Cake Supplies at 6057 Bissonnet St. and Make-A-Cake at 6218 Evergreen St.

Both of these shops carry a wide array of baking supplies, from decorations such as icings and confetti sprinkles to airbrush equipment and cake stands. Reputable brands like Wilton, Norpro, DecoPac, Magic Line and others are represented at both locations.

While products like airbrushes and gum paste tools are geared toward professional bakers, the wide array of novelty decorations brightens up any cake and adds a personal touch for the occasion. Both shops also boast the ability to print edible images, which is great for occasions like birthdays as well as anniversaries.

Make-A-Cake’s website, www.makeacakehouston.com, also has some useful information, such as some basic recipes and tips on using certain techniques for cakes. It also has photo galleries for people to show off their creations.

Some cakes are best left to the pros like Nadine Moon of Who Made the Cake.

On its website, whomadethecake.com, viewers can see beautiful cakes that have been featured in magazines and important functions, such as the retirement party for former Astros great Craig Biggio.

Using butter cream, fondant, a pliable sheet of sugar made with gelatin, or a combination of both, cakes from Moon’s studio run the gamete from simple cupcakes with butterflies and ladybugs to immensely detailed cakes with flowers and intricate patterns.

Guys, take comfort. The studio also specialize in grooms’ cakes that can range from cars to football stadiums.

The most extravagant cakes made at Moon’s studio are the wedding cakes, which can easily go over five layers and can stand more than 3 feet tall.

For something as important as a wedding cake, the studio schedules a personal consultation where brides can look at designs and make suggestions varying from edible lace to fresh flowers on the cake. To top it all off, brides can taste test which cake they’d like for their ceremony.

Whether a cake is made in the family kitchen or left to professionals, having one definitely brightens up any occasion. Just remember to save the best piece for last.