Dallas staycation offers history, fun in one weekend

Although many Texans have visited Dallas for a business trip or vacation, few students have taken time to explore this beautiful, historic city.

Dallas is one of the few cities in Texas that offers something for everyone, including parks, malls, nightclubs, spas and venues filled with history.

Students who are traveling on a budget this Labor Day weekend should consider Dallas and its reasonably priced attractions.

A simple stroll near Hotel Indigo on Main Street, which features historic buildings and churches, is an inexpensive and relaxing daytime activity.

Those interested in architecture or Catholicism can stop by Cathedral Santuario de Guadalupe, located on Ross Avenue. The structure details the Gothic Revival style of Catholic churches not often seen in the South.

While the architect who designed this amazing structure is still unknown, the stained glass and bell tower are must-see sights.

Another great downtown spot is the Old Red Courthouse in the West End Historic District.

The lower level is a tourist center, while one of the turrets is a high-tech Internet caf’eacute;.

This is a perfect place for students to plan the next leg of a weekend road trip.

Also located in the West End Historic District are Dallas’ most famous attractions, the John F. Kennedy Memorial and Dealey Plaza. The exact spot where the beloved president was assassinated is marked with bone-chilling Xs on the pavement.

Students can also see the Bank Depository, the location where the shots that killed Kennedy were fired.

If one’s idea of a weekend getaway does not involve long walks in the Texas heat, there are many other indoor activities. However, these can get a pricy.

For example, the Est’eacute;e Lauder Spa is perfect for someone looking for pampering after a long week of schoolwork. The spa offers lavish facials, massages, pedicures and manicures that only a name like Est’eacute;e Lauder can provide.

Shopping aficionados may enjoy the Dallas Galleria. This mega-mall has all the retail stores located in the Houston Galleria with names such as Louis Vuitton, Gap, Club Monaco, Kenneth Cole and Betsey Johnson.

After buying a brand new outfit, travelers can dance the night away in some of the popular nightclubs in and around downtown.

Purgatory, located on Main Street, is five stories tall and features a martini bar and VIP lounge for those who want to live the best nightlife.

Those who want a more low-key evening can belt out a tune at Dallas’ Uptown Bar and Grill, an area hotspot for karaoke with friends.

Music lovers can’t miss out on The Bone, which sits in the heart of downtown Dallas on Elm Street. This popular singles dive features a large rooftop bar and rocking bands, which is a great combination for ending a getaway weekend on a high note.