Minor makes major effort

The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts launched an interdisciplinary art minor this semester that aims to help students delve into other fields.

Introduction to Interdisciplinary Arts, the foundation course of the minor, is a historical survey of work that derives from multiple areas of study. The course not only defines the subject, but also gives students access to more contemporary work and its creators.

‘This course gives a nice look at the history and how it evolved into a minor,’ professor Mary Magsamen said. ‘Collaboration is a big part of working with different mediums and it’s important for students to know what has been done historically so they know what they’re making art from.’

Those who are studying the minor said they are excited about the opportunity because of the diversity of art subjects and study of collaborative art addressed.

‘I want to do so many things in the future. I might as well be educated on all those things while I’m in school,’ art junior Lindsey Slavin said.

The minor, which requires 15 hours of course study (nine of which must be advanced), is open to all UH students regardless of their major or field of study.

‘This is a great opportunity for students who have something they want to communicate regardless of the form,’ Mitchell Center Director Karen Farber. ‘(It’s also great) for students who have years of experience in one field but lack exposure to other fields, therefore increasing creativity.’