Health Center, staff comment on flu

UH Health Center Director Floyd Robinson spoke about the H1N1 virus and precautionary actions the Center plans to take at Staff Council’s first meeting of the fall semester Thursday.

Robinson said three cases of flu have been confirmed among students and faculty, but views H1N1 as a milder threat than what the media has reported.

‘We have flu every year on campus. Why this was given so much hype, I don’t know,’ Robinson said. ‘We just really need to pay attention to just basic hygiene. Nothing beats hand washing with water and soap.’

Robinson said the Health Center is monitoring the situation and recommends students and staff who are diagnosed outside to inform the Health Center of their illness. The information will remain confidential, but Robinson wants to protect others from the virus.

Staff Council President Ann McFarland said she wants departments and faculty to create’ plans in case an outbreak occurs in offices or classes. She said classes could held through Blackboard and encouraged instructors to prepare emergency packets, containing classwork for students.

McFarland also wants Staff Council to obtain a larger presence, which includes representation on committees and increased communication with administrators.

‘We can enhance communication with upper administration to let them know what’s important to staff,’ McFarland said. ‘If you’re not on a committee, get on a committee.’

Sandy Coltharp, former Staff Council president, agreed with McFarland.

‘A lot of times they (the administration) don’t understand how the staff is an integral part of how the University runs, and we want the Staff Council to have voices on all the committees that have influence,’ she said.