Enrollment in Texas on the rise

Enrollment has increased at community colleges but major universities like UH are showing the same trend that more people are looking at college.

‘I can tell enrollment has gone up just from the parking,’ UH communication senior Marie Munoz said. ‘It used to take 30 minutes (to park) if you got here early; now it takes an hour.’

UH’s enrollment for the Fall 2009 semester is 36,999, up from last fall’s enrollment of 36,104, according to the UH Institutional Research office.

Texas A&M increased their enrollment slightly to 48,787, up from 48,526 last year. Texas Southern University’s numbers also saw a small increase to a preliminary 9,487, up from 2008’s fall certified enrollment of 9,102.

The biggest increase in enrollment was at The University of Texas at Austin, with an increase to a preliminary enrollment of 51,032 up from 2008’s 49,984. Rice University and Houston Baptist University were contacted, but neither volunteered enrollment numbers for 2009.

Community college enrollment has also risen considerably based on preliminary numbers, according to a report published by The Houston Chronicle on Sept 3.’

Lone Star College enrollment jumped by 15 percent to 58,867 students, followed by San Jacinto College with an enrollment spike of 10 percent to 30,624, according to the Chronicle report.

The Chronicle also noted that Houston Community College saw a 13 percent enrollment increase to 48,136 at the beginning of the fall, and 25 days into the semester, enrollment has risen to 51,878.’

‘I’m taking my basics to go to UH,’ HCC student Lillian Lara said. ‘When I transfer, I’m hoping to (go to school to) become a doctor.’

Like many students, Lara chose to attend community college before she transfers to a major university to cut tuition expenses.

‘My SATs were pretty low, and it’s cheaper to take your basics at community college than at the university where you pay double the price,’ Lara said.’

Students claim the quality of education at community colleges is similar to major universities for core classes.

‘I think it’s about the same level,’ Lara said. ‘This year, my classes are harder and teachers have doctorate degrees.’

Psychology student John Urias is taking core classes at San Jacinto College. He had the choice of school or work.’

‘I didn’t really know I wanted to take college classes,’ Urias said. ‘[My] family made me enroll; it was go or get out.’