LIVING GREEN: Designers display eco-friendly costumes

The ‘green’ theme at Houston Community College’s Flash & Trash Fashion Show on Friday was unique, as designers displayed a number of environmentally friendly pieces.

The 15th annual show was hosted by the HCC Fashion Design Department. Students enrolled in Art for Fashion classes submitted the work shown.

The designers had flexibility with their designs. Master of ceremonies and co-host Kenneth Simmons said student designs entered in the show could be as ‘wild as they want.’

Simmons said that this was the students’ show, and that they did all the work.

‘It’s not what you have, but what you do with it,’ Simmons said.

The designs ranged from techie to natural. C-Foam dazzled with blinking lights, while Pixel helped keyboard keys avoid becoming e-waste. Others used items found in nature.

Foam insulation, CDs, cable ties and candy wrappers are just a few of the materials used in this season’s creations.

The program schedule started with Wood Wear and later featured Metal Princess. Hanger Appeal won first place. Designer Ksania Lerner said the design was inspired by her work in retail.

Lerner saw how the hangers were thrown out and decided to use them for Flash and Trash. The wide brim hat she created was made of white plastic forks.

Lerner said that incorporating more recycled materials into fashion designs is possible because materials can be molded and manipulated into something that is actually wearable.

Electrical tape was designer Maria Colchado’s medium of choice. Her dream of a one-shouldered design came true after the material inspired her at work.

Designs such as the Pink Ribbon and Sista Nature made statements about more than just fashion. The Pink Ribbon was inspired by October, which was National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Recycled ornaments, small rocks and unwanted accessories from friends were some items used in its construction.

Jennifer Rowland and Jasmine Davis’ Sista Nature was nature- and garden-inspired. They gathered materials from one of their yards. Weed barrier was the chosen ‘fabric,’ and painted dried leaves and birdseeds adorned the garment.

The colorful and sentimental Sirena was voted People’s Choice. Designer Kristal Fraire said the rainbow palette was inspired by a colorful cartoon character. Thin braids throughout the piece represented an aunt who has cancer.

Proceeds from Flash & Trash will go toward student scholarships that will be awarded at the spring fashion show.