DO IT YOURSELF: Student crafts for spare cash

Winter is approaching fast, and the demand for scarves rises as temperatures drop. To prepare for this, psychology graduate Lauren Baker knits scarves.

Baker began crafting seriously in high school after viewing a scarf a friend was making.

‘I thought to myself, ‘I want to do that. I bet I can do that!” Baker said in an e-mail. ‘Since I didn’t have a grandmother that knit, I went to the library and checked out Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book,’ Baker said. ‘I taught myself how to knit using that book, and from there I’ve expanded my (soft-craft) repertoire to include sewing and quilting.’

Baker typically picks projects that come together quickly and use a variety of stitches.

She said she often gets complimented on her ‘scarflettes,’ short, miniature scarves that close with buttons and make for comfortable, stay-put neck warmers.’ Then Barker’ started selling her products because she had too many to give away.

‘It gets a little pricey to keep knitting things for fun, so I started selling stuff very casually and cheaply. Now people ask me if I can ‘hellip; make something, usually a scarflette.’

Baker said that communication is key to supporting a craft addiction.

‘Get business cards and maintain a way for people to contact you,’ Baker said. ‘And remember, you probably are not going to get rich selling your crafts. Think of this as a great way to make a little extra pocket money and support your crafting habit.’