Holiday season offers green gift options

Promote eco-friendly ideas and save some trees this Christmas.

Sudents can encourage friends to be healthy and sustainable with a reusable water bottle.

WaterGeeks Laboratories sells a $22 stainless steel water bottle that comes with a filter to get rid of that nasty tap water taste, but you can find cheaper thermoses and stainless steel bottles at stores, such as Wal-Mart and Target. Between encouraging a healthier, caffeine-free lifestyle and reducing the number of plastic bottles discarded by a friend on the go, this gift is a no-brainer.

The process of shipping, growing and selling food is a notorious use of water and environmental resources. Help the foodie on your list embrace more sustainable choices with gift cards and gifts from eco-friendly businesses.

The Organic Wine Company is selling monthly memberships, which include three delicious sulfite-free wines. Healthy and eco-friendly cookbooks such as Alicia Silverstone’s The Kind Diet make for great reads and contain ideas that will change your life.

Watering and talking about the progress of a small garden brightens people’s day, but few people know where to start.

Herbkits.com’s $35 Mini Garden Stacker Kit sells nine stackable pots that will save room and money for the friend starting an organic garden. The committed gardener will adore Red Envelope’s $80 Year of Seeds, a package that comes with 12 stylish square pots and 12 individual packages of seeds.

The iPhone addict on your list can cut her carbon footprint with your help these holidays. Cheap iPhone applications such as the Carbon Tracker, Car Care and the GoodGuide calculate users’ carbon emissions, offer green tips or even list local eco-friendly businesses.

For a more heavy-duty commitment, invest in NovoThink’s $70 iPhone Solar Skin. This stylish green case allows your iPhone to recharge itself using solar power.

One of the great things about ecofriendly gift giving is showing your friends how they can pamper both themselves and the Earth. Dr. Bronner’s Magic Pure Castile Soup uses refreshing organic essences such as coconut and olive. Best of all, using all-natural, and organic ingredients means they won’t leave waste in the Earth and the water supply.

Another fashionable gift includes Meg Musick-Makely’s bangles, a trendy thick bracelet made from reused albums. For other bracelets and clothes, check out recycled art of independent artists on Etsy.com.