Students need more Cougar pride

UH students have great pride in their university. They are proud of its traditions and aren’t afraid to show it.

Even though school pride is evident in some way or another on any school’s campus, it’s something that doesn’t really have a concrete definition.

Pride for one’s school can be displayed in a variety of ways.

It can be seen in numerous places within school life, such as in participation of school activities, wearing the colors of one’s school or even representing one’s college in everyday life. There are many students who feel the need to continue showing pride toward their school after they graduate and become alumni.

However, there are some students who seem to lack any pride at all. Even worse than that, there are those students who don’t like their school and would rather be somewhere else.

When I took part in freshman orientation last summer, a lack of such deference toward the University was evident.

One fellow incoming freshman wore a Michigan State University sweatshirt to the orientation and another chose to wear one representing Sam Houston State University. The ever-prideful Coog Crew graciously brought both of them onstage and had the crowd voice its disapproval. 

Yet, a short walk around the campus yields plenty of examples of the same attitude toward the University. The University of Texas at Austin, University of Oklahoma and Texas A&M University are a few of the schools represented on UH students’ clothing, opposed to the very school they attend.

Freedom of expression is an admirable concept and should always be honored. When that expression shows unnecessary contempt, there is no need for it.

The solution for those who feel admiration for another college is to transfer there. There is no valid reason to attract attention and cause rivalry amongst ourselves.

This is something best left to universities, not students.

Patrick Levy is a communication freshman and may be reached at [email protected]