Group to focus on good diet, recycling

The Food Advisory Committee has taken a proactive stance in students’ eating habits and is awaiting their response.

While focusing on meeting students’ dietary needs, the Committee has also pledged to make a positive impact on the Earth.

“You’re going to see a totally new Moody Towers dining hall,” Dining Services program coordinator Jonas Chin said. “We’re going to have eight different concepts for this dining hall … we’re going to have 50 percent more seating and no more back kitchen. (Students are) going to know where their food is coming from.”

Chin said the Committee has received positive feedback from students, though he hopes for more. He believes the University can make a positive impact on the environment while still meeting students’ needs.

“I think everyone is very supportive,” Chin said. “Everyone is encouraged by it.”

On Monday, during a busy dinnertime at the Moody Towers dinning hall, members of the Committee spoke to students about proposed and recent changes to their meal plans, options and cafeteria.

“It’s a Benihana-style of doing things,” Chin said. “Let’s cook the food in front of you, and maybe you’ll even get a show.”

Floor designs for a proposed pizza oven, salad bar, Mongolian barbeque area and vegetarian station were presented to students. For all the cuisine shown, the Committee made a point to highlight protecting the environment.

“It’s all about recycling and reducing our carbon footprint,” Director of Food Service for Residential Dining Ed Wigley said. “Last year alone, we used 90,000 Styrofoam containers … so you can imagine that amount of Styrofoam in a landfill. We can’t be successful without (students’) efforts. We ask you to help us.”

Committee members told students that 90,000 Styrofoam containers are equivalent to about 130 Eiffel Towers, 18,000 Yao Mings, 450 football fields or 93 Empire State Buildings.

Benefits of the proposed changes were stressed, but progress cannot be achieved without proper financial support. The costs will be, according to the Committee, a few more dollars than what students are spending now.

New meal plans will be available, while the Moody Towers has already made breakfast available at 10 a.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. The dining hall used to open at noon.

The Committee is using the extended hours as a trial run for keeping the dining hall open for longer periods. Student reaction will determine whether the policy stays or reverts to the old hours.

No matter what, the Committee said it will continue to push its agenda and seek positive responses from students.

“If you don’t eat well, you’re not going to do well in school,” Chin said.

The Committee hopes more students will log on to its Web site (uh.edu/dining) and provide feedback because without it, the group can’t cater to students’ needs.

“For this to keep going, people need to participate,” Chin said of the recyclable containers. “Please help us help the world.”