Commentary

Former Chargers running back tempting for Texans

Joey Clarke: Gimme LT, baby!

The Texans should definitely pursue LaDainian Tomlinson. After 10 highly productive seasons in the NFL, he’s a proven running back. Although he is approaching the end of his career, Tomlinson would still be a valuable asset.

In my opinion, the Texans’ most glaring weakness is at running back. Matt Schaub has proven that he is an elite quarterback, and the Texans also boast a strong receiver corps of Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter and tight end Owen Daniels. Add a superstar running back to the mix and you have a Super Bowl contender.

The only problem with Tomlinson is that he’s 30 years old. Truth be told, he probably won’t be in the league much longer. However, he is the best option right now since Steve Slaton didn’t produce last season and seems intent on fumbling the ball at the most inopportune times.

The Texans should sign Tomlinson and hang onto him until they can draft or trade for a younger running back who they can ride for an extended period of time.

Keith Cordero Jr: What else are they going to do?

The Texans should absolutely go after LaDainian Tomlinson for multiple reasons. Tomlinson can still run the ball and be effective if he gets the necessary carries and blocking. His time in San Diego may have come to an end earlier than he wanted, but Tomlinson is already a first-ballot NFL Hall of Famer.

Like every 30-year-old running back, his production and reliability have decreased; but the Texans don’t have anyone better than LT under 30, so the pickup makes sense. A two-year deal for a player who can at least split time with either Steve Slaton or Arian Foster would be great.

Bringing Tomlinson aboard would generate a buzz amongst fans, giving the Texans another reason to consider it. Some fans have already soured on this team because it has never made the playoffs, so the Texans can’t continue to rely on the blind loyalty the franchise enjoyed in the early years. The Texans should spend money to get him in an uncapped year and trade away Ryan Moats, Chris Brown and even Slaton for an extra draft pick to address needs at cornerback, defensive line and offensive line.

Jason Ovalle: Respect your elders, just don’t let them run the ball

This rose is no longer budding and, just like fall when America’s great game arrives, LaDainian Tomlinson’s career is coming to an end. The Texans should avoid the soon to be 31-year-old from Rosebud like the plague

Houston has seen this rodeo before, when they signed older running backs such as Ahman Green and Chris Brown.

L.T. had a great run in San Diego, but he is clearly in the twilight of his career. Injuries have hampered him over the last few years, and he finished with a career-low 730 rushing yards last season. His rushing average has continuously dropped from 5.2 yards per carry in 2006, to 4.7, 3.8 and 3.3 most recently.

The Texans should invest in younger running backs; they should make it a priority to draft one. They need someone who is hungry because he’s on his first contract. Ideally, the position should be filled by a strong, but fast runner who still has some cartilage left in his knees — not by Tomlinson. So guys, both of you are wrong.

Judge Beard: Old men need not apply

Joey, you came this close to getting it. Basically, you argue that while having the name Tomlinson on the back of a Texans jersey sounds good in theory, having a 30-year-old carry the bulk of the load doesn’t.

Keith, this one went over your head. And Jason, your logic is good but you were too nice. Plus, you won last week so the onus was on you to bring it hard.

All of you are disqualified, and I declare myself the winner. Why? Because, as Lil Flip so eloquently put it, “I can do that.”

The Texans have a litany of needs and running back is nowhere near the top. Add to that the fact that owner Bob McNair has already said the team will not pursue any running backs older than 30, and it becomes a moot point. Fans need to start looking at game film of Ryan Matthews or C.J. Spiller if they want a sneak peek of who could be wearing deep-steel blue this fall — although the latter will probably require a trade price the Texans aren’t willing to pay.

Being successful in the NFL is not about reaching for Band-Aids, (i.e. LT, Thomas Jones, Chester Taylor) but drafting smart and evaluating young talent (i.e. the Patriots and Saints).

The Texans are no country for old men.

Verdict: Fear the beard. Judge Phillipe wins.

Facetime: The NCAA Tournament is just around the corner, and I can already feel myself getting so sick that I’ll have to miss work and school.

• Ladanian would make a great contribution to the Texans, However, he has stated quite clearly he wants a chance a ring and wants to be not the reason, but a part of that team getting the super bowl, not to dis-credit the Texas who have become a simply fantastic team since 2002, they are not quite there yet. And of the teams interested him right now, The Minnesota Vikings would appeal to him more as they came a breath away before losing to the Saints in the NFC Championship. He is visiting with them on March 11th, knowingly not getting a starting job.