Commentary

Providence takes low road in situation with Young

On Monday, the UH athletics department announced that former Yates High School basketball standout Joseph Young has enrolled in classes and will join the team.

Young, a 6-3 guard, has a knack for scoring, averaging 27.5 points per game as a senior. He was also instrumental in leading Yates to consecutive Class 4A state championships. His father, Michael Young, is the director of the operations for the team and was a key member of the Cougars’ Phi Slama Jama squad of the early 1980s.

But all of this comes with a stipulation and scandal.

Young signed a National Letter of Intent to play at Providence in the fall of 2009, but got cold feet. Young’s aunt is battling a serious heart condition, which made him want to stay closer to home.

In June, Young asked Providence to release him from his commitment, but the request was denied. Providence thought that Young’s aunt wasn’t immediate family.

He appealed the decision through the National Letter of Intent Policy and Review Committee. It agreed with Providence coach Keno Davis, also declining to let Young out of his commitment.

This means Young will lose a year of eligibility, but he will be able to practice with UH this year.

Davis said since Young originally chose Providence he should be “expected to fulfill his commitment,” and his boss agreed.

“The governing body of the NLI didn’t feel his appeal warranted a release and neither did I. It’s my feeling that he needs to fulfill his commitment, and we’d love to have him at Providence,” Providence athletic director Bob Driscoll told the Providence Journal.

After the Providence’s disregard for Young’s aunt, playing for that program was out of the question for Young.

His farger was vexed at Providence and the NLI’s decision to back Davis.

“He’s a bad guy,” Michael Young told KRIV Channel 26. “Keno Davis and Providence had no sympathy for this situation. Keno said he doesn’t care who is ill.”

Providence is  bitter because they felt the elder Young was guilty of nepotism with his position at UH. But, the result of the decision seems as if Providence is apathetic about the Youngs’ family situation.

Coming off a 12-19 season, Providence is rightfully upset to lose Young. But punishing a teenager for indecision will not help its recruiting.

Young’s playing career will now be delayed and possibly harmed by losing a year of competitive playing experience.