10 ways to help UH go green

Reusable bags are a great way to go help the environment every time you go shopping. | Christina Yanascavage/ The Daily Cougar

Here are 10 great tips for starting this semester with an effort to be environmentally friendly: 

1.  Assess your carbon footprint

“There are some free carbon footprint calculators online,” said Atmospheric Science doctoral student Christine Haman. “It’s important to find the calculator with the most detail… asking the most questions, because you can get a better representation.”

The calculator will ask questions such as electricity use, natural gas use, what type of vehicle you drive, how many miles you’re driving per day and per week and how many people per household, Haman explains.  

Calculators that are not detailed can be inaccurate, Haman said.  “A lot of times they don’t have the air travel…If you don’t fly at all, that’s fine, but if you do, that really starts to add up.”

2.  Reducing the impact of driving

Haman and Taylor helped calculate the 2009 UH carbon footprint, which identifies commuting as a major contributor to the University’s carbon emissions.

“Carpooling or more efficient vehicles, I suppose… those are really your only two options to help reduce that,” said Atmospheric Science master’s student (and recent graduate) Marc Taylor. “Or if you want to live closer, so you could walk.”

A carpooling system could benefit the University, Haman explains.  

“Some students come a couple times a week from Galveston,” Haman said.  “If you have someone who lives just on the other side of the island, or just off the island, then it might be beneficial.”

3.  Purchase renewable energy

Haman said that one of the largest carbon footprint contributors are buildings, and while it may be expensive to “make them all green, we need renovation to work together toward that.”  

Green your energy use by purchasing renewable energy, like wind or solar to reduce carbon emissions, Haman explains.  

Haman and Taylor mention several renewable energy companies in Houston, and that renewable options may be available from other firms.

4.  Turn off the lights

“The point is that there are steps that can be taken that (don’t require) changing insulation or changing light bulbs,”  Taylor said.  “Turn the lights off… it’s not that hard.”

Turning off lights when not in use helps save energy and money.

“A lot of universities are getting motion detectors,” Haman said. “It definitely helps with the electrical costs.”

5.  Buy local

Buying local can help reduce one’s carbon footprint.

“Initially its gives you lower transportation costs, in terms of carbon costs,” Taylor said.  “The prices are cheaper… at worst, it’s (the same price) as the super market.”

“They have more nutrients, too, because they are not transported and frozen,” Haman said.

6.  Carry reusable bags

Reusable bags reduce the demand for paper or plastic bags.  Additionally, they don’t end up in the landfill.

“If you can reuse something, it helps the environment, no matter what,” Haman said.

“Since paper is heavier, it’s basically the same carbon footprint (as plastic bags),” Taylor said.

Extra carbon can be created when goods (such as paper bags) are transported to a store.

“The thing with the cloth bag is you can fit more in it,” Haman said.

Shoppers must remember to bring the bags, Taylor said. “Put the bags back in the car or hang them on your door (as a reminder).” 

7.  Recycle

Send less waste to landfills and reduce the demands on existing resources.

Haman said that recycling saves you money and is better for the environment.

8.  Use University Programs

“If the University comes up with these ideas, and starts implementing or offering them, take advantage of them,” Haman said. “It’s great that we have these recycling bins.”

The University will consider a program a success when students use it, Haman said.  

9.  Walk instead of ride

Walking has a smaller carbon footprint than vehicles or the campus bus. 

Taylor feels the bus system is wasteful and doesn’t save time.  Sometimes students that walk and those that ride the bus might arrive at the same time, according to Taylor.

“Not many people ride the bus” and the busses travel long distances to get to UH daily, Taylor explains. 

10.  Join organizations for a unified voice

Haman suggests organizations such as the brand-new Meteorology Club and the Environmental Club join together to share a unified voice.

“If we had a unified voice” it would show the student body had a larger support of (reducing carbon), Haman said.