Set yourself free if you’ve got the 20s

For all those 20-something-year-olds out there, the day has come where carpe diem has basically become socially acceptable. So take advantage.

Others, feel free to extend your living arrangements with your parents for a little while longer without remorse — because you’re not alone.

According to an article in the New York Times, there has been a growing trend for people in their 20’s to take their slow, over-sleeping time to grow up. Many are more interested in finding themselves or pursuing passions before sticking to a solid career. 60 percent of the 20-something-year-olds surveyed considered themselves grown-ups and not grown-ups at the same time.

Once upon a time, your twenties came with very clear guidelines that were more or less centered on getting a degree, getting a job, getting married and starting a family.

Nowadays, the role of the 20-something-year-old has widened into a long pursuit of avoiding adulthood and the expectations that come with the traditional concept.

Countless reasons have been theorized for this growing trend of not following the traditional path, including the recession and the medical availability for women to have children later in their lives. Whatever the reason, your 20’s should be a time of self-indulgence, to focus on your passions or to simply find them.

However selfish it may seem, some personal discovery time is necessary for growth. Those meager ten years of self-journey could lead to places and people you never would have dreamed of if you had power walked into the predictable plan of adulthood.

That being said, self-indulgence is a luxury. Many people cannot afford to chase their dreams, experiment and make mistakes.

Taking time off or slowing down your plan isn’t about being lazy. Sometimes people just need a break before reality and responsibility become unavoidable. The older you get, the harder it becomes to act on spontaneity or to have reckless adventures.

If you can afford to be self-centered in your 20’s, you may feel more satisfied as you grow older. So go ahead, spend your money on all of those concerts, take that class that’s irrelevant to your major — and figure out who you are and what you want before adulthood is inescapable.

Camila Cossio is a creative writing sophomore and may be reached at [email protected].