Six reasons Houston is Texas’ best city

1. Wade Phillips

In case you haven’t heard, Phillips, the Dallas Cowboys’ head coach, was fired Monday afternoon, we assume for failing to meet expectations. Personally, I feel sorry for the guy. Maybe the Cowboys should have waited until they had a decent football team to build that gargantuan stadium. Texans head coach Gary Kubiak may not have any championship rings, but at least the games have been exciting to watch during his tenure, even if the team fails to clinch in the fourth quarter sometimes.

2. Size matters

For many of us, it’s difficult to comprehend just how big Houston is. A lot of us grew up here, so we’re somewhat numb to it, but Houston is huge. And as far as I’m concerned, League City, Texas City and Galveston are just extensions of us, much like Kingwood.

3. Our music scene

Houston’s underground music scene is often critiqued for being miniscule, insignificant and lackluster. But anyone who’s gone to half a dozen local shows knows otherwise. Our music scene is vibrant, and we’ll take a handful of extremely talented artists over hundreds of overrated, pompous, ill-fated hipsters any day — cough, Austin, cough.

4. The caliber of Cowboys fans

We’re sure a number of Texans fans aren’t the nicest of folk. But at least our fans don’t have sex in the bathroom stalls of Reliant Stadium or give each other lap dances in the front rows. Both of these events happened recently at Dallas’ new stadium, which is a proper christening for such a city, in my opinion.

5. We’re not Lubbock

There isn’t much else to say beyond the simple fact that we’re not Lubbock. Sure, it’s home to a solid university, but ours has been ranked higher, and in Houston, college students can learn in the classroom while gaining real-world experience and networking at any number of businesses across the city.

6. Graduates move here

Many give UH a hard time, but at least 90 percent of our graduates don’t have to move to other cities to get jobs. Want to know why so many University of Texas fans comment on the Houston Chronicle articles? It’s because they all moved here, and our economy is solid. Welcome, haters.

So these are my reasons, which I hope won’t be taken too seriously. What are yours?