Bio researcher travels to Germany

A biology professor was recently honored with the Humboldt Research Award for his lifetime achievements in research.

Professor Dan Graur, a John and Rebecca Moores Professor, who specializes in molecular evolution and the process of mutations, was notified of the award from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation.

William Martin, a professor of botany at the University of Dusseldorf in Germany, nominated Graur for the award.

Martin has known Graur since the ’90s and previously collaborated with Graur on a paper about the technique of molecular clocks.

“I wrote a nomination letter that was seconded by four very prominent international experts from the US, Asia and Europe,” Martin said. “This is basically a distinguished career achievement recognition, so his whole body of work that has helped us to use molecular data to shed light on the evolutionary process is basically what is being recognized.”

The Humboldt Foundation is a German institute that promotes academic cooperation between excellent scientists and scholars from Germany and abroad.

Graur will travel to Germany this summer to receive the award, along with 60,000 Euro as prize money. He will also meet the President of Germany in Berlin.

In addition, Graur is invited to carry out research projects of his own choice for up to a year in Germany. Graur said he has no plans of leaving UH to go abroad for a year.

“I am honored and will go to Germany, get the money and meet the President of the Republic of Germany in Berlin and I will have fun for about two weeks and come back,” Graur said.

The Humboldt Foundation grants prizes and fellowships each year in a number of scientific disciplines.

The award’s selection committee looks at a candidate’s doctorate, academic publications and expert references.

Dan Wells, department of biology and biochemistry chair, praised Graur on his award and accomplishments.

“This award further demonstrates his international reputation in this competitive field and brings significant recognition to our department and the entire University,” Wells said.

Graur is focusing on analyzing amounts of molecular data and the process of mutations in genomes.

Graur received his bachelor’s and master’s degree from Tel Aviv University, Israel and his doctorate from The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston.

Currently, Graur is working on grant proposals to finance future research at UH in light of the budget cuts.