Internship program may lead students to Magic Kingdom

A number of UH students are hoping to spend a week at the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando in August as part of an internship program that will help them develop skills that businesses are looking for in potential employees.

PricewaterhouseCoopers, the global consultation firm, will host three one-week sessions through its Intern Development Program.

“This is a high energy, unforgettable experience that helps prepare interns for their full-time career,” said Paula Loop, US and global talent leader for PwC. “We emphasize the importance of individual contributions to the entire team and how the skills taught at each phase help them advance through the challenges.”

By teaming with the Disney Institute and Walt Disney World’s Living Classroom, interns will focus on team-based experiential learning and develop a strong foundation of varied skills appropriate to meet the needs of businesses today.

“The (program) is a culminating event for all interns who have participated in PwC’s Internship Experience,” said Alexa Hamill, PwCs’ director of Campus Recruiting. “With 800 interns to 80 PwC Partners—a 1 to 10 ratio—each student will receive the professional insight and coaching that is unique to PwC.”

Of the 2,400 students who participated in PwC’s Internship Experience hosted in 2010, a select number of them will have the opportunity to connect one-on-one with PwC partners, fellow interns from around the US, and the PwC global network of member firms, and also immerse themselves in the hands-on instruction, including professional insight, leadership training skills and personal enrichment sessions by PwC partners during the weeklong event in August.

“It’s a signature experience that will help prepare the interns for their full-time career,” Hamill said. “This unique experience helps to emphasize what they have learned in their client service internship.”

PwC plans to hire approximately 10,000 people in the US during the 2011 fiscal year, a 60 percent increase from last year. The firm expects 60 percent of these new hires to come from college campuses, its intern enrichment programs, and experienced professionals.

“The PwC Internship Experience is designed to give students a better understanding of our firm’s commitment to service, youth education and leadership development,” said Holly Paul, national recruiting leader for PwC. “As one of the largest employers of college graduates in the country, PwC is enabling these students to develop their professional skills in a unique, positive environment.”
For more information on internships and careers at PwC please visit, www.pwc.tv.