Music

‘Carter IV’ can’t top the hype

Lil Wayne’s ninth studio album is the first in history to be released following an awards show. It was released online at midnight on Sunday after the VMAs. The physical album hit store shelves on Monday. | Courtesy of MTV Press

As a way of building hype, Lil Wayne delayed his last album, “Tha Carter III” for more than a year until its release in June 2008.

“Tha Carter IV,” which has been available since Sunday, could have used another year of fine-tuning.

Wayne finished his eight-month prison term for illegal firearms in Nov. 2010. “Tha Carter IV” was advertised like a comeback album, but it doesn’t compare to his previous works in terms of buzz or quality.

Many expected that Wayne’s time spent behind bars would enhance his creativity and he would emerge from the prison term a musical genius.

There are no major breakthroughs and no spectacular signs of progression on “Tha Carter IV,” just Wayne doing what has made him successful. There is a lack of focus, but Wayne’s different styles make the album appealing.

Wayne is known for releasing free mixtapes in rapid succession to keep his masses of followers satisfied. That’s what “The Carter IV” sounds like — a slight showcase of Wayne’s talent, but not a cohesive effort.

There is not a sense of urgency in his rhymes, and it sounds like an extension of his July mixtape “Sorry 4 The Wait.”

Aside from a few exceptions, “Tha Carter IV” is like when all of the best parts of a movie are in the trailer. Singles “6 Foot, 7 Foot” featuring Cory Gunz came out last December and “John” with Rick Ross premiered in March. Both tracks have aged gracefully and remain standout songs on the album.

The best part of “Tha Carter IV” is when Wayne steps aside and gives his elders a chance to shine. The recurring beat first heard on the intro happens again at the album’s midpoint and conclusion.

The interlude on the eighth track features one half of Outkast with Andre 3000 and a guy you’ve probably never heard of: Tech N9ne — who arguably does the beat the most justice.

On the outro, Bun B, Nas, Shyne and Busta Rhymes all take turns delivering respectable verses.

While his sidekick Drake is only featured in two songs, if you close your eyes and listen closely it sounds as if Wayne is doing his best Drizzy impersonation. Accusations that the Canadian-born rapper is ghostwriting for Wayne seem to have an air of legitimacy.

His loyal fans will consider the fourth chapter of “Tha Carter” another solid installment, but there are no earth-shattering witticisms — just Wayne’s signature combination of being crude and clever.

His next slated project is the release of Dedication 4, a mixtape with DJ Drama. The release date has not yet been announced.

It will be the next chance for the public to see if Wayne challenges himself as an artist or continues using his proven methods for success.

• Wayne died out after Carter III. He died out after the callab he did with Chris Brown and Swizz Beatz on I Can Transform Ya……

• I've listened to this album and, I don't mind it. Although, I think that it may lack in some areas. I've worked with one of the producers on the album and, I thought he could have done better but then again, Wayne might have made the beat choice.

Another set back on the album is the strong language. Wayne could have tonned it down. I know of some people that can't listen to this album because of that. It doesn't really matter to me. I used to listen to Ice-T when I was growing up.

• The difference between Lil Wayne and rappers like Jay-Z is the fact that, Wayne is more of an entertainer. Every once in a while, he gets to write songs that actually speak to the heart but, most simply entertain and will not have the longevity of say 'Song Cry,' 'The City is Mine,' 'Hard Knock Life' or even 'Forgot About Dre,' 'Stan' by Eminem, 'Aston Martin Music' by Rick Ross. I could go on but, I think that Wayne has got great wordplay and now just needs to build on his reality rap.

• We have not been given a glimpse of his life in prison like we got from 2 Pac. We would like to know more about his normal life and emotions.

Overall, I would give the album a 4 out of 5

Over and Out,

Crisis Mr. Swagger

The Fire Inside has been nominated for a Channel-O Music Video Award for MOST GIFTED AFRICAN SOUTHERN VIDEO. You can also vote via SMS by typing 11D and sending it to +27839208406 To vote for C.R.I.$.I.$ Online, simply go to: http://channelo.dstv.com/nominations/most-gifted-