Events

Summer arts festival takes Houstonians across town

The Gerald D. Hines Waterwall Park was the site of a dramatic choreography during the two-day Insight|Out festival. The dancers elegantly ended their set as water gushed out from the top of the popular man-made waterfall.

The Gerald D. Hines Waterwall Park was the site of a dramatic choreography during the two-day InsightOut festival. The dancers elegantly ended their set as water gushed out from the top of the popular man-made waterfall. | Allen Le/The Daily Cougar

The two-day Insight|Out weekend arts festival drew crowds to a diverse number of events at three distinctive Houston locations May 19 to 20.

The festivities started on Saturday evening across from Sesquicentennial Park in downtown Houston with “Scoot-In,” an outside film event sponsored by Aurora Picture Show and Buffalo Bayou Partnership.
A wide television screen was set up to display seven different documentary-style films exploring alternative methods of transportation in Houston including bicycling, roller blading and skateboarding.

While there were parking spaces available for cars, attendees were actually encouraged to ride to the event on their motorcycles and scooters, and at least a dozen guests choose to go green by navigating their way downtown on two-wheelers.

Food was cooked and served on site and cold alcoholic beverages made for a pleasant night among the patrons.

Sunday brought the festival to a close as the University of Houston Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts and Project Row Houses presented “Seven In the Third,” an event centered on music that induced visitors into a leisurely state of mind.

Guests were welcomed to step inside the seven white houses that neighbor each other on Holman St. in the historic Third Ward community to explore the sounds of composer and violinist Travis Weller.

However, the last event of the festival, which also took place on Sunday, attracted the largest gathering.

“Stephan Koplowitz: TaskForce – Natural Acts in Artificial Water” presented by DiverseWorks and Uptown Houston was held at the Gerald D. Hines Waterwall Park near the Houston Galleria shopping mall.

This refreshing 45-minute performance incorporated nature’s open air by taking place outdoors and away from the usual theatre assets of curtains, lights and wooden stages.

Koplowitz, choreographer and dean of the School of Dance at the California Institute of the Arts in Los Angeles, collaborated with Houston composer Aaron Hermes, Space City Gamelan and 16 local professional dancers to invigorate the city-favorite landmark.

The waterwall’s constantly running water was cut off so the dancers could gracefully position themselves against the structure in an engaging moment right before the climax of the performance, when the water came rushing back down on top of the performers as the crowd watched in amazement.

The sunlight reflected off the waterfall that was now running again to create a dazzling sight.

“From what I’ve seen, the feedback from my end has been very positive,” Koplowitz said. “I’ve been really gratified by the response that people have put out from the work that we have done.”