Overtime

Bush takes over at OC following stint as RB coach

For offensive coordinator Travis Bush, coaching in Texas is in the blood.

Bush’s father, Bruce, was a high school head coach in the Lone Star State for more than three decades at Alice, Gregory-Portland, San Marcos and Pharr-San Juan-Alamo.

In 33 years, Bruce boasts 259 wins in-state.

The younger Bush followed suit, with stops at Texas Christian University, Texas State, University of Texas at San Antonio and now, the University of Houston.

It’s Travis’ turn in the spotlight now, finding himself in command of a Football Bowl Subdivision offense — granted, not in the best of circumstances.

When Mike Nesbitt resigned on Monday, it was announced that Bush would take over as offensive coordinator. He previously served as the UH running back coach.

Bush spent six years at Texas State, his alma mater, three as a receivers’ coach and three as the associate head coach and co-offensive coordinator.

Bush met head coach Tony Levine during his tenure as a receiver with the Bobcats, under  Levine’s tutelage.

Levine is still confident in Bush’s ability to lead the offense.

“I feel good about our staff right now, and Travis Bush has done a fantastic job in the short time that we’ve all been here together. I have a tremendous amount of confidence in Travis and the rest of our offensive staff, as do our players. I’m looking forward to not only Saturday night, but the rest of the season and the next 11 games that we’re promised,” Levine said.

During Bush’s final season at Texas State, the Bobcats finished 12th in total offense (422 ypg) and eighth in passing offense (289 ypg), which led to an opportunity to christen University of Texas at San Antonio’s football program as offensive coordinator with former Miami head coach Larry Coker.

At UTSA, Bush’s offense averaged nearly 27 points per game with a balanced approach. The Roadrunners passed for 219 yards per game and rushed for 145 per contest.

Now Travis Bush is tasked with developing David Piland into a great quarterback.

“We are really excited. Coach Bush stepped into the role and has done a great job of accepting it,” Piland said. “I was thrown into the fire two years ago and now he is. He has been working really hard around the clock, and we’re excited for Louisiana Tech and what he’ll bring for us.”

Once Bush was promoted, he stressed moving forward in two meetings with players, where the team discussed where it’s going next.

“We put Texas State behind us and started focusing on Louisiana Tech,” Bush said.