Student Government

SGA holds third meeting, discusses senate efficiency

While the U.S. presidential debate aired, several appointments were made, and a new bill was introduced at the third Student Government Association meeting of the semester Wednesday night in the Elizabeth D. Rockwell Pavilion.

Senators briefed the floor with any updates from their various standing committees. Sean Tarver of Internal Affairs shared his committee’s suggestion of compensation for the senators as a way to create more accountability and generate more productivity.

“We have an 80/20 situation going on. It seems like 80 percent of the work is done by 20 percent of the senators,” Tarver said.

The idea of compensation would be explored further, Tarver said. He welcomed any advice or opinions.

A bill from Internal Affairs was proposed that will streamline executive appointments. If approved, the new bill will allow Internal Affairs to thoroughly interview all appointees and write up a report on the appointed person which will also include the executive branch’s reason for appointing each person.

One of the authors of the bill, Sen. Eduardo Reyes, said the bill would benefit everyone.

“This will help (the appointment process) be more efficient, and an efficient senate is an effective senate,” Reyes said.

The bill will be voted on at a later date.

The meeting ended with the senate’s voting on three presidential appointments and five vice presidential appointments.

Military veteran Reggie Evans’ appointment to public defender was unanimously approved. During his speech, Evans spoke of his work in the military helping soldiers who faced a dishonorable discharge.  President Cedric Bandoh spoke on Evans’ behalf before the vote and cited Evans’ passion for helping people as one reason why he would be an effective public defender.

The two other presidential appointments — Jacob Koshak to associate justice and Kelly Hickman to law center senator — were also unanimously approved.

All vice presidential appointments were approved as well. Appointees included Daisy Trevino to the Sustainability Task Force, Cameron McHugh to the Student Publications Advisory Committee, Clement Agho-otoghile to the Transportation and Parking Advisory Committee, Mark Solano to the Graduate and Professional Studies Advisory Committee and Alexandria Rodriguez to the Bookstore Advisory Committee.

The next SGA meeting will be at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 17 in the Rockwell Pavilion.