Greek Life

Gong Show rings loud for Tau Kappa Epsilon

The Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity won first place at the 26th Annual Gong Show, which was hosted by the Delta Zeta Sorority on Thursday evening. The event is the largest student philanthropy event on campus. | Catherine Lara/The Daily Cougar

The Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity won first place at the 26th Annual Gong Show, which was hosted by the Delta Zeta Sorority on Thursday evening. The event is the largest student philanthropy event on campus.  |  Catherine Lara/The Daily Cougar

Delta Zeta Sorority hosted its 26th annual Gong Show on Wednesday evening, where students and staff filled the Houston Room enjoying acts that included 17 different campus organizations.

Gong Show is the University’s largest philanthropy event and entertained its audience with elaborate comedy, dance, step and skit performances.

Throughout the evening, the audience of more than 700 attendees bid in silent auctions offering UH memorabilia like signed football jerseys and helmets, tickets to upcoming football games and sideline passes.

In addition, there were raffles that contributed to the more than $6,000 in donations received from participating companies like Canyon Creek, The Chocolate Bar, Starbucks and more.

“Delta Zetas at UH love and look forward to our annual philanthropy event,” said Marissa Moore, vice president of internal philanthropy of Delta Zeta. “We only have one a year, so we have to make it bigger and better, which was my goal for this year.”

Delta Zeta supports the Center for Hearing and Speech and The Painted Turtle Camp — a California-based camp for terminally ill children that operates throughout the year and provides children and their families a two-week vacation.

The Gong Show, along with other yearly charitable donations, raised money for these two organizations and continues to be the chapter’s main focus.

“Each year, as a chapter, we will complete craft projects to send to the camp for the kids,” said Megan Kingsley, president of Delta Zeta. “We also love to go and volunteer at the Center for Hearing and Speech located in Houston and work with the kids in any way possible.”

The “American Idol”-like event was strung together by two witty student hosts and a panel of three judges: Rebecca Williamson and Tara Boyle from the Department of Admissions and Matt Jansen, a Houston Texans scout.

The international sensation, “Gangnam Style,” by South Korean rapper PSY had its share of appearances along with candy-inspired songs to go along with the “How Sweet It is to be a Delta Zee” theme.

According to audience members, the show brought out entertainment and talent that had not been witnessed in previous years.

“Gong Show has come a long way over the years,” said Kelsey Durall, a UH Delta Zeta alumna.

”I was blown away by the show tonight — great job to the participants. It was a tough competition, but everybody helped raise a lot of money for a great cause.”

Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity brought home the first place trophy from the event. Chi Omega and Gamma Beta Fraternity won second place in the sorority and fraternity categories. The Spirit Award was given to Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity.

Delta Zeta hopes the Gong Show will attract more participants and people to watch the show and give back to the community each year.

“Greek organizations always look forward to it and are excited to participate,” Moore said. “That helps make Gong Show as big as it is.”

Add Comment