Around the American Athletic Conference

In its inaugural weekend of football, the nine teams  in the American Athletic Conference who played this week posted a record of 5-4.

One of the most exciting conference games in week one had to be Fresno State’s 52-51 overtime victory against Rutgers. The Scarlet Knights’ attempt to win the game on a 2-point conversion failed, as the pass was tipped and fell to the grind.

UH posted the most lopsided win of the conference against Southern 62-13 Friday night. Senior punter Richie Leone was named the American Special Teams Player of the Week, as he averaged 47 yards per punt, including three inside the 20-yard line while hitting two field goals and six extra points.

National championship contender Louisville did what it was expected to do against Ohio. The Cardinals defeated them 49-7 in dominating fashion. Quarterback Teddy Bridgewater was named the Offensive Player of the Week. He was 23-28 and passed for 355 yards that included five touchdowns and one interception.

On defense, UCF made a statement in their 38-7 win against Akron. The Knights only allowed 145 yards through the first three quarters and held them scoreless until 42 seconds remained in the game. Linebacker Terrance Plummer was named the Player of the Week.

Correction: An earlier version of this article said Louisville played against Miami of Ohio. The team’s opponent was Ohio.