Uncategorized

University of Happiness

The "CareerBliss Happiest Universities to Work 2013" report says that UH is one of the happiest universities. The report focuses on those working at UH instead of those only attending the school. Emily S. Chambers/ The Daily Cougar

The “CareerBliss Happiest Universities to Work 2013” report says that UH is one of the happiest universities. The report focuses on those working at UH instead of those only attending the school.
Emily S. Chambers/ The Daily Cougar

Houston Cougars are a lot of things. But, according to president Renu Khator, one of the biggest things they are is happy.

“We are the number four happiest university in the country…” said Khator last Wednesday at the Cat’s Back pep rally.

That statement is one that is supported by the “CareerBliss Happiest Universities to Work 2013” report.

While it is nice to think that the university’s happiness was rated as a whole it was only rated based on those employed by the university system. This does not single-handedly exclude the entire student body though. Undergraduates and graduate students alike who are employed to be teaching assistants, lab researchers, test proctors, etc. were considered by CareerBliss in this report.

The “Bliss Score”, as it was named, is a number from 1.00 to 5.00 that is gauged upon the reviews of those employed by the university. University of Houston got its number 4 spot with a Bliss Score of 4.36 out of 5.00. UH was only topped by three other schools with Auburn University at the top with 4.40 out of 5.00.

“CareerBliss recognizes those universities that excel in providing a happy work culture,” said Heidi Golledge, CEO and co-founder of CareerBliss in the article.

UC Satellite Starbucks employee Jonterra Sanders was asked whether she felt that UH’s 4.36 rating accurately reflected the university.

“I wouldn’t think number four. Each job has its good and bad moments, but (UH) is a good school to work at,” Sanders said agreeing with UH’s Bliss Score.

“If I had to rate my job personally I’d say a 4 (out of 5),” which is better than the 3.6 out of 5 that the average Starbucks employee rates their job on CareerBliss.

This happiness culture certainly extends to the academic echelons of UH’s payroll as well.

“I far too often forget that this is actually a job,” said director of industrial design Dr. EunSook Kwon, “but I can see why UH got such a high score there.”

“Our university feels like its own little world sometimes. So many people come from so many different backgrounds that UH feels apart from the outside like its own community run by all of us, and the fact that we can accomplish something like number 4 happiest university together is amazing.”