Uncategorized

UH professors rethink future of genetics law

A panel of professors from the UH Law Center reached out to students and practitioners alike to assess the legal climate of scientific research in the context of genetics, biotechnology and intellectual property from 4 to 6 p.m. Tuesday in the Hendricks Heritage Room.

The panel’s three professors, who are on the cutting edge of this new field of law, are UH professors Sapna Kumar, Jessica Roberts and Barbara Evans. For Roberts, assistant professor of law and director of the Health Law and Policy Institute at UH, the discussion on the intersection of law and health policy can encourage the community to understand the “genetics revolution.”

“Genetics is a fascinating example of how we negotiate the legal protection of health-related information,” Roberts said in a press release. “My current scholarship explores how our protection of genetic information can inform the protection of other kinds of information as well as the current trends in genetic-information discrimination litigation.”

The discussion aimed to re-envision a future in which law and genetics will be further intertwined and in which this personal information will extend far beyond the scope of health care, as it already has.