Uncategorized

Calendar: Oct. 7 to Sunday

Thursday

Jobs: A Sales & Marketing Fair sponsored by the C. T. Bauer College of Business will be on campus from 3 to 6 p.m. at the Hilton UH. Dress professionally and bring a resume and possibly a portfolio.

Music Lecture: Visiting speaker Oliver S. Wang will be talking about hip-hop culture from 5 to 6 p.m. in the Moores School of Music, Room 108. Wang is a scholar of Asian-American popular music from the University of Berkeley.

Space: The first woman of color to go into space, Mae Jemison, has been invited to speak in the Elizabeth D. Rockwell Pavilion Ethics and Leadership Lecture Series from 7 to 8:30 p.m. in the Cullen Performance Hall.

Music: The Wind Ensemble of the Moores School of Music will be performing works by Strauss, Mendelssohn, Rosner and others from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. in the Moores Opera Center.

Friday

Health: Free diabetes screening will be given in honor of American Diabetes Month from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Health Center for UH faculty, students and staff. There will be three different tests available: non-fasting, two hour fasting and 8 to 10 hour fasting; students are encouraged to perform the latter for the most accurate results. To participate, bring a valid photo ID.

Sports: Women’s basketball will face off Mississippi State from 5 to 8 p.m. in the Hofheinz Pavilion. Students get in free with their I.D.

Sports: Men’s basketball will fend off Texas State from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. in the Hofheinz Pavilion. Students get in free with their I.D.

Saturday

Sports: Wheelchair Rugby Smash Tournament will be on campus from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center. It was established by Adaptive Athletics of the Center for Students with DisABILITIES.

Academics: The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals will hold a clinic to help UH and high school students fill out their applications from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m at the Language Acquisition Center of Agnes Arnold Hall, Room 217. DACA aims to help undocumented populations integrate into society through a variety of programs.