Events

Spring into action at Cat’s Back

Cats_Back2_Justin_Tijerina_Original

Students will meet the leaders of campus organizations and various administrative personnel at The Cat’s Back from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday at the New UC Ballroom. | Justin Tijerina/The Daily Cougar

The Cat’s Back is kick-starting the semester with free food, fun activities and great prizes from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday in the New UC Ballroom.

To hype up the spring semester, Pink’s Pizza, a new addition to the strip of restaurants on Calhoun Road, will cater the event, and numerous organizations will offer raffles. Students will have a chance to claim a Cat’s Back Cougar Trading Card and will be given a stamp card for visiting organizations.

“Each student has a stamp card, and when they go around to each organization and fill their card up with stamps, they get to enter the raffle,” said Vanessa Roche, office coordinator for the Center for Student Involvement.

About 75 registered student organizations have been approved for the event.

All fee-funded organizations — including the Activities Funding Board, Council of Ethnic Organizations, Frontier Fiesta, Student Program Board, Metropolitan Volunteer Program and Student Government Association — will also be attending.

“All National Panhellenic Greeks will be attending Cat’s Back,” said health junior Riccy Ohen, a member of Kappa Alpha Psi. “They may not see us wearing our letters, but we want to let them know we are here. If they want to talk to us about being Greek, we are here to answer any questions.”

The University holds this event each semester to welcome new and returning students back to campus.

“My experience at Cat’s Back has been very exciting,” said nutrition junior Delynn Daniels. “There are lots of new faces, and I love how all of the organizations come together and have sign-up sheets for students to get involved and meet more people.”