Events

Celebrating 25 years of service

MVP

To celebrate 25 years of service, the Metropolitan Volunteer Program is hosting its biannual fair, “Revolution of Heroes,” on Feb. 19 for students to work with the community and local charities. | Courtesy of Metropolitan Volunteer Program

The Metropolitan Volunteer Program will host its biannual fair Feb. 19 to celebrate its 25 years of service.

Established in 1989, MVP offers services in health, environment and senior citizens. Revolution of Heroes is an organizational fair that reaches students who want to give back to their communities and help those in need.

Last year, the Houston Food Bank, the Salvation Army, Houston’s Ronald McDonald House and other guest charities joined MVP in providing service opportunities, according to MVP office assistant Tiara Parks.

“Revolution of Heroes will be just one of many events involved in the MVP’s 25th birthday week starting Feb. 17 and ending that Friday (Feb. 21),” Parks said. “During this week, several service opportunities will be available for students to attend.”

MVP will also give out stamp cards as students enter the event. Stamp cards give students the opportunity to earn prizes based on how many stamps they collect from organizations’ tables.

“Volunteering with MVP not only provides students with the opportunity to make a positive impact on our campus and community,” Parks said, “but also to gain leadership skills, build relationships with fellow students and gain experience in their field of interest.”

MVP membership is free and open to the student body.

Revolution of Heroes will be from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 19 at the University Center Ballroom.