Events

Cougars to sing at UH Voice competition

UH will be hosting its first live “UH Voice” performance at 7 p.m. Thursday at the New UC Theater.

Inspired by NBC’s show “The Voice,” the Student Program Board created its own “UH Voice,” which will include four judges and 12 contestants — three singers on each team — with one final winner.

The show includes an array of contestants, from singers who are new to performing onstage to YouTube sensations familiar to the spotlight.

“I’m so excited to perform and be a part of the first UH Voice,” said contestant Joy Nisnisan. “I think it’s an awesome opportunity for students to get themselves out there while having fun sharing their talents.”

Psychology freshman Kathleen Nguyen said she feels honored to perform.

“Everyone here is so talented, and I’m so honored to be sharing the stage with 11 other talented Coogs. I personally love the show ‘The Voice,’ so having a UH Voice is so awesome. I’m glad I could be a part of this,”  Nguyen said.

“I’m going to be playing a mashup of ‘No Scrub’ by TLC and ‘Hips Don’t Lie’ by Shakira. If I do make it to the final round, I will be performing a rendition of ‘Blurred Lines.'”

Industrial engineering senior Brittney Baker, a fan of Carrie Underwood-style country, said she is excited to perform on stage and thinks the event is a great way to start off Spring Break.

“I’m super excited for this event, and I can’t wait to get on stage and perform for a pretty big group of people,” Baker said. “I don’t even care if I win — this has been such a fun experience already. Plus, it’ll be a nice way to kick off Spring Break.”

Pharmacy freshman Lauren Remo, known on YouTube as “LalaTheLauren,” agrees.

“Winning would be amazing, but just sharing my passion for music is rewarding enough,” Remo said. “I’m thankful for the opportunity to perform on stage for the UH Voice competition. See you all there.”

#TeamEmily

• Nutrition sophomore Joy Nisnisan, accompanied by Nico Cagulada
  • Supply chain and finance senior, Matt McLaughlin
  • Clayton DeGuerre

#TeamBranston

• Industrial engineering senior, Brittney Baker
  • Mechanical engineering sophomore, Areeb Khan
  • Pre-pharmacy freshman, Chidima Ubah

#TeamJimmy

• Psychology freshman, Kathleen Nguyen
  • Management information systems sophomore, Christine Bang
  • History senior, Kyle Cousins

#TeamSkippy

• Pre-pharmacy freshman, Lauren Remo
  • Accounting junior, Adlith Castillo
  • Mathematics sophomore, Aubrey Adams