Opinion Web Exclusive

Obama makes embarrassingly desperate efforts to gain Affordable Care Act interest

We get it, Mr. President. You really want everyone to get behind the Affordable Care Act.

Look, I have no qualms against the Affordable Care Act. In fact, I feel it’s an important step in the right direction for America. However, President Barack Obama’s stunts — designed to increase the number of people who are signing up to get insured — are getting a little bit ridiculous.

It was all perfectly fine when the President and his staff were reaching out to Americans in conventional ways such as simple, professional videos, for example, or well-written press releases.

But it has become increasingly more and more clear that the President will not take “no” for an answer; he is desperate to get people on board with the Affordable Care Act.

Perhaps it is because of the less-than-impressive numbers Obamacare is currently facing: only 4.2 million people have secured coverage since October — down from the originally-hoped-for 7 million.

What this has led to, unfortunately, is a string of ridiculous marketing techniques.

Just last week, Obama was a guest on Funny or Die’s “Between Two Ferns,” an online show hosted by actor Zach Galifianakis. The six-minute interview had some good moments.

Obama likened running for a third term to making a third “Hangover” film: “Didn’t really work out well, did it?” he said.

Unfortunately, when it came time for Obama to plug in healthcare.gov, it became almost too painful to watch. It seemed like a desperate move — perhaps because it was. Fortunately for Obama, however, the video went viral almost immediately, creating a wide surge of traffic on the health care website.

Obama has since shot down any and all comments that stated that his appearance on “Between Two Ferns” was embarrassing or degrading to the presidency.

“If you read back on Lincoln, he loved telling the occasional bawdy joke and being out among regular folk,” Obama told ESPN Radio’s Colin Cowherd. He added that “one of the hardest things about being president is being in this bubble that is artificial, and unless you make a conscious effort, you start sounding like some Washington stiff.”

Now, with less than a couple of weeks to go until enrollment ends on the Affordable Care Act, Obama is taking even longer strides to make sure he has all of his bases covered. He recently made an appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, where he answered questions both about Obamacare and about his television addictions, “Scandal” and “House of Cards.”

“I have to tell you, life in Washington is a little more boring than displayed on the screen,” Obama said in his interview on Ellen.

If anything, I appreciate Obama’s efforts to reach out to all age groups. He’s right; if he didn’t make a conscious effort to speak to people of all age groups, both his popularity and his voice would be weakened.

However, he does have a very thin line he’s crossing; there’s a difference between being a celebrity and an elected official, and Obama seems to walk that line gracefully. I wouldn’t want him to somehow tip over.

People, for the most part, seem to be enjoying his publicity stunt enough. But the Internet is sensitive and can turn on anyone at any moment. Obama is no exception.

I hope it all works out in the end for the Affordable Care Act. Let’s just hope Obama doesn’t have to make a cameo appearance in “Scandal” to make his point.

Opinion columnist Carolina Trevino is a advertising freshman and may be reached at [email protected]