Events

Annual drag show to raise donations for youth

RequestFlyer

While students particpate in the 7th annual drag show, UH LGBT club, Global, will donate its proceeds to a nonprofit organization that helps LGBT youths, who were kicked out of their homes. | Courtesy of Kayla Duggan

Drag kings and queens will strut their stuff to raise donations to help lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youths.

UH’s LGBT club, Global, is hosting its seventh annual Drag Show at Meteor Lounge in Montrose on Thursday.

Students, along with other regular performers, have the chance to perform on stage.

All proceeds from the show will be donated toward HATCH, a nonprofit that aids LGBT youths who have been kicked out of their homes, said Global President Kayla Duggan.

“The show is not only fun and entertaining, but it gives the amateur drag performers a chance to get their name out and fundraise for a good cause,” Duggan said.

Meteor will not charge a cover fee for the Drag Show and will only allow people 18 years and older to enter.

The show begins at 7 p.m. and will consist of musical performances and amateur and professional drag performers to entertain throughout the night.

Although she has not seen any of her friends dressed in drag, Duggan is looking forward seeing them perform.

“It’s going to be like a party,” Duggan said. “And although I have not seen the students dressed in drag, I’m really looking forward to seeing them perform and being wowed at their skills.”

Global has existed for almost 10 years and provides a safe space to anyone who is LGBT or an ally.

The Drag Show became the organization’s annual event when members began going to the weekly drag shows at Meteor. There, the performers showed their courage by dressing like someone else and to bring awareness about gender roles, Duggan said.

“Don’t be afraid to be yourself,” Duggan said.  “I know it sounds weird, because the performers are dressing up like someone else, but in reality, the drag kings and queens are part of the performer.”