Events Life + Arts

Cougar movers looking to expedite move-in process for second year in a row

For the second year in a row, Cougar Movers are on a mission to direct the chaotic influx of thousands of residents into a smooth, efficient check-in process that makes campus living easy from day one.

Moody Towers

Cougar Mover volunteers meet new students outside and assist in the process of moving their belongings to their new homes. Photo courtesy of Madison C. Richard.

Moving onto campus is difficult enough for one residence hall with hundreds of new students moving in; this amount drastically increases with more than ten separate halls. The UH Housing and Residential Life Department took notice of the problem and set out to de-stress the move-in process by rolling out their new program, Cougar Movers, just last fall.

“I didn’t bring much to college with me, it only took my parents and I one trip,” said senior advertising major Ryan Ander. “But, I wish my move was as clear as the process they have created for the incoming students. It makes things so much simpler.”

The program includes three main phases: navigating car traffic, proper check-in and transporting the student’s belongings from their car to their new room. As a new student drives onto campus, instead of being confused about where to start they are directed clearly to a parking lot and ushered inside to go through the check-in process. Lines are formed per residence hall with many volunteers to get students in and out as fast as possible. After receiving their key a student follows clearly marked signs to their proper hall, being greeted by the move-in team. Like a well-oiled machine, the volunteers get to work.

“We recruit student organizations as well as individuals who are proud Cougars with a heart for volunteering,” said Cougar Crew Member Madison Richards. “(They) provide a positive experience for all students moving onto campus, showing that the university cares and what it means to be a Houston Cougar.”

Richards said the program is a way for current students to ease the transition for new students as well as an easy way to network for their personal organizations. While students are the first priority, their parents are equally affected by the program. Kim and Jimmy Ho, first time college parents, were clueless when it came to how they should drop their daughter off at her new school but were surprised with the expedited process UH had created.

“When we reached the drop-off zone, someone immediately came up, greeted us and sent carriers our way to help us unpack our car. The carriers helped us navigate to and move everything to Angela’s room; by doing so they really made us feel very thankful for having the Cougar Mover program,” Jimmy Ho said.

Volunteers are welcome this August 21-23 when thousands of students will converge upon the residence halls looking to settle in on campus for a new year. Whether sparing a day or two yourself or volunteering on behalf of an organization, any amount of time you give will be appreciated and proof of time spent will be certified for official volunteer hours.

Follow the link to register you or your organization to make a difference on campus this fall.