Five things to look forward to this week

MVP partnered with Agape Development Ministries and the Southeast Houston Transformation Alliance for Keep Houston Beautiful Day. | Mahnoor Samana/The Daily Cougar

MVP will be at Butler Plaza to provide students with information of future volunteering events. All students are invited to join the conversation. | Mahnoor Samana/The Daily Cougar

To start of your Monday morning off right, here are a few events circulating this week, including a chance to have a discussion about diversity ideology in an era of colorblindness, a cultural feast provided by a broad range of organizations and a career fair for the College of Technology.

Monday: Did the U.S. Win or Lose in the Iran Nuclear Deal?

Student Center South, Houston Room

5 to 8:30 p.m.

The Energy Symposium Series will bring forward a discussion that will scratch the surface on the history and geopolitical position of Iran, the basics of the U.S. Department of State’s Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action and the implications for energy in relation to the Iran Nuclear Deal.

The panel of speakers include: Sara Vakshouri, founder and president of SVB Energy International, Anthony Cordesman, who holds the Arleigh A. Burke Chair in strategy of Center for Strategic & International Studies and Cliff Kupchan, chairman and practice head of Eurasia Group— a leading global political risk research and consulting firm.

Chris Tomlinson, business columnist for the Houston Chronicle, will moderate the discussion.

Check-in begins at 5 p.m. at the Houston Room, with a reception to follow the panel discussion.

Tuesday: What Does Diversity Mean in an Era of Colorblindness?

Student Center South, Midtown Room

4 p.m.

The Center for Mexican American Studies, the Department of Sociology and Center for Diversity and Inclusion will host a lecture for students and staff about diversity ideology in the 21st century.

Loyola University Chicago professor, David Embrick, will be the special guest at the event. Most of Embrick’s publications cover contemporary forms of racism. While most of his research is specific to inequalities in the business world, Embrick has published on race and education, the impact of school welfare and prisons on minorities and issues of sex discrimination.

Wednesday: College of Technology Career Fair

Student Center South, Houston Room

11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Place your best foot forward at this year’s Career Fair. Students are invited to attend this opportunity to meet employers who hire for a wide variety of positions. Engage with industry professionals in your search for internships, part-time and full-time employment. Professional business attire and resumes are musts.

For more information, College of Technology students can visit TechConnect, or contact Christal Pradia at [email protected].

Thursday: ‘A Revolution of Heroes’ volunteer fair

Butler Plaza

11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Ever wondered how you can give back to your community?

Students are invited to talk to Metropolitan Volunteer Program representatives from a wide array of volunteer organizations and non-profits to learn more about the volunteer opportunities  available to them in Houston.

Thursday: International Mother Language Day Food Court

Student Center South, Bayou City Room

4:30 to 6:30 p.m.

If you are hungry for food and culture, join the Council of Ethnic Organizations, Bangladeshi Students Association, Student Government Association, Center for Diversity and Inclusion and International Students Organizations for free food from all parts of the world. They will be playing clips that explain the history behind this event.

A cultural showcase will take place after the food court inside of the Houston Room with doors opening at 6:30 p.m. Performers include the Vietnamese Students-Association, BSA, Pakistan Student Association, Dhun A Capella group and Albanian Coogs.