Letter from the Editor Opinion

Letter from the Editor: Welcome to our debate takeover

You know how athletics has its H-Town Takeover? Well, the Cougar decided to do a takeover of its own. But instead of talking about sports, we’re going to focus on two events happening this week that will definitely affect students — the upcoming Student Government Association presidential debate on Wednesday and the Republican debate on Thursday.

Inside this issue, you’ll see everything from candidate breakdowns to a map of where not to park on campus. You’ll even find in-depth features on each of the three SGA presidential candidates.

We’re going to have a whole new set of eyes picking up this issue. To those people, welcome to the University of Houston. This is a great school with students of various backgrounds and interests. Lots of people say we’re diverse, but I think that word is overused. I’d call us special — we are Cougars after all.

We tried to cover all aspects of each debate, but this print issue can only hold so much. Additional coverage for each debate, including hour-by-hour updates, can be found at thedailycougar.com/debate.

I’m ending this letter with a plea. Any journalism professionals on campus this week, could you please stop by the Center for Student Media in the Student Center North and spread some of your journalistic wisdom? We have a legion of talented students who would forever cherish the moment.

I know you’re busy trying to cover the GOP debate — don’t worry, this week is a doozy for us at CSM, too — but we’d really appreciate a minute of your time. And hey, Anderson Cooper and Wolf Blitzer, we would welcome you both with open arms. Think about it.

— Glissette Santana, editor in chief

P.S. — Check out the SGA debate hosted by The Cougar Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the Student Center Theater. If you’re not going to be on campus, check out CoogTV’s and Coog Radio‘s live stream of the coverage. You can also follow The Cougar on Twitter @thedailycougar for up-to-date coverage on the debate and candidate quotes. See you there!

• The shameless pleas for self promotion continues. Journalistic wisdom HA! … these Media Elites are no smarter than you Glissy girl.

You presume them to be smart, but if they didn’t have a teleprompter and an earpiece with someone on the other end telling them what to say … they’d wonder in aimless thought just as President Obama when he’s off teleprompter.

And frankly, I don’t think the Media Elites will even lower themselves to read the DC in the first place.