Events Life + Arts

The stories behind Holi: A festival of positive energy and colorful love

HoliFest_Diana_FEATURE

Holi is a colorful festival that brings the community together and inspires them to have another positive, productive year. | File Photo/The Cougar

Vibrant colors cloud the air and coat faces across the world during the Hindu festival of Holi, when millions of people gather to enjoy food, music and the traditional throwing of dyed powder to usher in spring and celebrate the joy of new beginnings.

Though Holi fell on March 6 this year, the Council of Ethnic Organizations will host an on-campus Holi celebration from 3 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, April 1 in Lynn Eusan Park. All students are welcome, and colors and water guns will be provided for the celebrations.

“The colors, food, music and atmosphere are the essence of India,” said supply chain management junior and Indian Student Association Social Chair Apeksha Sandesara. “We love to share our heritage with people.”

Traditionally, Holi starts the night before with a ceremonial bonfire lighting, which harkens back to a legend of a demon named Holika, who burned in the fire she intended to use to kill a prince. The bonfire ceremony serves as a reminder of the consequences of evil, and in spite of the grim story, it doesn’t dampen the participants’ spirits.

As a celebration of new life and the strength of good in the face of evil, bright colors are thrown in powder form to symbolize blessing one another, a custom that is also rooted in Hindu folklore.

The tradition of smattering colors on faces stems from a legend surrounding the Hindu god, Krishna. As the legend goes, Krishna’s skin took its characteristic blue color when he drank poisoned breast milk as an infant. When he expressed concern to his mother that his blue skin would make him less appealing to Radha, the girl he loved, his mother told him to throw powdered color on Radha’s face to show her that their love was deeper than the surface. Krishna took his mother’s advice and sparked the Holi tradition of throwing color.

“Specifically, the colors correspond to positive emotions,” said pre-med freshman Ambica Sethi. “By throwing these colors on relatives and friends, you basically give them best wishes for the year ahead.”

Music and dancing play a significant role in the festival and are inspired by Krishna’s famous dance performance in which he simultaneously danced with millions of young women while playing his enchanting flute.

Today, flutes are not the only instrument you will hear at a Holi celebration — loud, upbeat music implores the participants to dance and celebrate the beginning of spring in free-form fashion.

“There are absolutely no rules — we go ham,” Sandesara said.

As the Holi Festival becomes more widespread, cultures all over the world are joining the celebration as not only a religious ceremony, but as simply a good time to be had by all.

“Anyone and everyone is welcome to attend and participate in any Holi festival,” Sandesara said.

“We, the Indian community, welcome you with open arms and hands full of color.”