Sunday, May 20, 2018

UH group denounces campus carry bill, releases letter to administration leaders

Members of “Gun Free UH,” a large and growing collective, recently released an Open Letter to President and Chancellor Renu Khator, all members of the UH Board of Regents and Student Government Association President Shaun Theriot-Smith that requests to keep guns off campus and out of classrooms and dorms.

History senior Alex Colvin has spearheaded the movement and wrote the initial first draft of the letter. Colvin said there have been numerous contributors among faculty and staff as well – the letter is signed by 150 students, faculty, staff, alumni and parents. An additional 600 supporters have already signed a Change.org petition denouncing S.B. 11, the bill that allows for campus carry on college campuses.

“We are united in our repudiation of an unjust law – we recognize that S.B. 11 is now the law and we must work within it (but) we will continue to be the voice of dissent against it,” Colvin said. “(To) those to whom it is addressed, particularly our President, Dr. Renu Khator must use her powers to keep guns out of our classrooms, dorms, and offices… (we) recognize there is consensus among gun violence scientists that gun violence in our country has reached epidemic proportions and we must be vigilant in our efforts to curb it.”

The bill is due to take effect on August 1, 2016. UH is currently in the process of deciding on a campus carry policy in accordance with the bill.

Cougar News Services is actively seeking comments from President Khator.

Tags: , ,

How do you feel about Jeremih's cancelled concert at Frontier Fiesta?