College gives students tools for social work

Students in UH Graduate College of Social Work turn service into a career that strives to benefit everyone involved.

The school, tied with four other universities including Portland State University, Simmons College and University of Buffalo, ranked 36th for best graduate school in the nation by U.S. News and World Report in 2008.

Amber McCarthy, a first-year graduate student, became familiar with the social work world by taking part in the American Humanics program, a nationally-recognized certificate program preparing students for careers in non-profit organizations.

Though there are two tracks for graduate students, the clinical practice and the administrative practice, McCarthy is a law social worker at heart.

‘I’d like to do private practice, but I see myself later in my career working in policy or making changes legislatively,’ McCarthy said.

McCarthy said she always knew she wanted to make an impact and not just philosophize about her social work career.She said this field and internship component allows students to practice and learn from their experiences immediately.

‘We’re actually making a difference in our clients’ lives,’ she said.

Within the school, many students struggle with having a job,’ working an internship, and being enrolled in a full load of classes.

‘How about somewhat of a personal life or social life?’ said social work graduate candidate Stacey Brittain.

Despite the hard work and countless hours, however, the students said the rewards heavily outweigh the negative aspects.

‘My favorite part is literally being in the trenches, being face-to-face with a client,’ Brittain said. ‘That makes me remember why I got into this profession and why I’ve gone through the past three years of just heck of my life ‘hellip; it makes it all worthwhile.’