Blogger becomes trend setter

With fashion blogging on the rise, the latest looks across the globe are now within the reach of a mouse. Many bloggers’ opinions are so influential that they have transcended fashion magazines, and started trends.

Karl Leuterio is one of those bloggers. Hailing from the Philippines, he has quickly become one of the most followed individuals on Chictopia.com, the MySpace for fashionistas.

Along with his great sense of style, fans enjoy reading his humorous and expressive blog, Totally inKARLcerating (karlleuterio.multiply.com/journal).

Leuterio’s blog details his everyday life and his love of fashion, friends and family.

Leuterio was kind enough to grant The Daily Cougar an exclusive interview, giving us more insight on blogging and his fashion preferences.

AL: Do you have any interesting hobbies?

KL: I have been singing since I was six. My parents have always been supportive. They let me sing whatever I wanted, songs like Mariah Carey or Celine Dion. When feeling tense or inspired I enjoy sketching. I draw the clothes I want to wear or the things I want to buy.

AL: Could you tell us more why you like blogging?

KL: At first, I was skeptical because I’m not the best writer. I learned that you don’t have to be an essayist to have one. The first blog that inspired me was Bryanboy’s (http://bryanboy.typepad.com) blog. I was completely drawn to it and since then I began searching for more blogs about beauty, fashion and music. Who needs a magazine with all these blogs on the Internet?

AL: Does fashion have a big place in your life?

KL: Very! I work as a nurse and that suggests that I wear a uniform at work. So I wear these big glasses, roll the sleeves of my shirt up, and instead of wearing plain old white loafers, I opted to wear high-top, white sneakers and I tuck my pants inside. Of course, I have a different bag every day! The things I do feed my hunger for fashion!

AL: Describe your personal style.

KL: My style is a bit weird. Think garage glamorous! I love looking effortless and a bit unkempt. I pair a simple outfit with an edgy pair of shoes. I believe that shoes make the outfit.

AL: Who is your fashion icon, or favorite fashion designer, artist, journalist, blogger, star – your mother?

KL: Damir Doma, Rick Owens, Tatsuro Horikawa, Mary Kate Olsen, Lindsay Lohan, Lady Gaga and Bryanboy.

AL: What is your favorite fashion or beauty ad?

KL: I have a lot on my mind, but my recent favorite would have to be Balmain’s Spring/Summer 2009. It’s just pure sex!

AL: What is your favorite fashion era?

KL:I would have to say today. It is the amalgamation of all the trends from the ’70s, ’80s and ’90s. Style worn today is the melting pot of the best styles ever created.